Student consultants at Bristol Uni offer free support to the third sector

The taskforce of students is offering local charities and non-profit organisations in Bristol free support over the coming year.

By Jessie Millson, Co-Deputy News Editor

The University of Bristol’s 180 Degrees Consulting society aims to provide free consulting to socially conscious organisations in Bristol.

Organisations seeking to work with the Bristol branch are partnered with a group of six student consultants, who provide assistance on projects to help innovate and maximise their social impact. The teams of students are allocated a professional mentor from one of their corporate partners and work together to organise the projects in place.

180 Degrees Consulting is the world’s largest university-based consultancy with branches in more than 35 countries. Set up by University of Bristol Economics and Finance student Jack Elliot, the Bristol branch was named the ‘Most Innovative Branch Worldwide 2020’.

Jack stated that the Bristol branch of the organisation was launched ‘with the view of leveraging the talent at Bristol University to support charitable organisations driving social impact - and it’s been incredible to see the impact we’ve already had both in the local community and internationally.’

Since it launched a year and a half ago, the group has taken on 67 consultancy projects around the world. Dozens of organisations have already benefited from pro bono help. Satisfied customers locally include Age UK, Make A Wish Foundation, Bristol City Council, and We The Curious science museum.

Following the Beirut blast in August 2020, 180 Degrees got involved with the humanitarian relief efforts, helping to build a distribution facility for sanitary pads in the city, as well as working with Gestures From the Heart, a Lebanese charity distributing food boxes and essential supplies to the elderly.

The charity said: ‘After the Beirut blast everything was extremely bad and painful. We were lost and we lost hope, suddenly came a beautiful team of young, dynamic and extremely motivated people. They were like a ray of hope that came at the right time… It was enough to get us back up on our feet and continue what we started.’

22 students achieve the University of Bristol’s Outstanding Award
Prize-winning Bristol: the university scientists who won prestigious prizes this month

The team of Bristol students have also worked with Dr John Manley, a previous High Sheriff of Bristol, on AskingBristol, a volunteer-led group which helps connect Bristol charities and community groups with outside support.

180 Degrees Consulting’s Bristol branch will soon be working with Indian NGOs for the first time, following the impact of the second wave of COVID-19.

The group are looking to hear from any social impact organisation with problems that need solving or ambitions they want to make realities. They are also open to University of Bristol students looking to volunteer as management consultants this summer.

Featured image: University of Bristol | Epigram

Interested in joining 180 Degrees Consulting Bristol? Apply to join HERE