Bristol to enter Tier 3 restrictions

Bristol is set to enter the highest level of restrictions when national lockdown ends on 2 December.

By Megan Evans, News Subeditor

Bristol will enter the highest level of restrictions when national lockdown ends on 2 December.

The UK Government’s announcement on regional Covid-19 Tiers this morning places Bristol in Tier 3, ‘very high’ alert: the highest tier with the toughest regulations.

Tier 3 will come into force at 00:01 on Wednesday 2 December.

In Tier 3, Bristol citizens will continue to face tight restrictions post-lockdown. These include:

• Not meeting socially indoors or in most outdoor places with anybody outside your household or support bubble
• The ‘rule of 6’ in public spaces still in force
• Hospitality venues will remain closed, and can only continue sales by takeaway, delivery, or drive-through
• Indoor entertainment venues closed
• Sports facilities (such as gyms and leisure centres) can open, with group exercise not permitted
• Organised outdoor sports and exercise classes can continue, with minimal physical contact
• No spectator sport or large outdoor events
• Avoid travel where possible

Bristol has recorded some of the highest daily infection rates in the country throughout November. The city saw 390.2 new cases per 100,000 population in the last week, considerably above the national average of 230.3.

Bristol currently ranks 17th highest of 149 local authorities for case rates, with the University of Bristol having the second highest cumulative number of cases of any university nationally. There are also currently 256 people in local hospitals being treated for COVID-19.

Although all essential and non-essential retail will be able to re-open in Tier 3, the restrictions are projected to cost Bristol City Council £2.8m per month in funding support for businesses and vulnerable people.

Bristol City Mayor, Marvin Rees, said: ‘While we all want to get back to normal as quickly as possible we must also get the COVID-19 infection rate in the city down. COVID-19 is damaging lives and livelihoods … We can all help move to a tier with fewer restrictions if we work together and follow the guidance.’

He warns that visiting other households has been a large factor in increasing infection rates, adding: ‘We all want to see friends and family, but for now it is really important we protect those we love by not visiting them. The sooner we all do this, the sooner we can get back to some normality.’

The University of Bristol has already announced that it will move all teaching online between 3 - 9 December, in order to facilitate the student travel window.

Featured Image: Epigram / Filiz Gurer

Are you surprised that Bristol will enter into Tier 3 restrictions once lockdown ends?