Autumn style trends to follow for 2020

With the sudden change in weather and the hot days coming to an end, it’s time to start thinking about how to shift from shorts and t-shirts to something a little more suitable for the colder months – but what to wear?

By Sophie Hutchison, Third Year, History of Art

Here are five trends to try out this season:

1. Animal Print:

Animal print IS a neutral. Brown cow print adds a slightly more autumnal twist to the classic animal print, whilst good old black and white zebra stripes add a sense of fun. Wear emblazoned on a minidress, flared trousers, or a faux fur tote bag.

Jakke Daisy Oversized Faux Fur Cropped Coat with Hood in Chocolate Cow Print | ASOS | £199.00

Check out this gorgeous Jakke oversized faux fur brown cow print coat, perfect for the Autumn/Winter weather,  or for a less expensive option, why not try this cow print bodice from Motel?

Lanti Bodice in Cow Hide Brown and White | Motel | £30

2.  Tailored Trousers:

A perfectly fitted, smart pair of trousers are possibly the most flattering thing you can wear, and now is the perfect time to wear them. They could be cropped, have a pleat down the leg, or have vents at the bottom – just make sure they fit like a glove.

Black Stretch Split Flare Trousers | Topshop | £39.99 

This pair of black split flares from Topshop are the perfect, classic option to go for!

3.  Colourful Retro Jewellery:

The more outlandish your accessories this Autumn, the better – take things back to your childhood with friendship bracelets and colourful beaded necklaces. Tacky is good - think symbols like smiley faces, Yin Yang, hearts, and stars. If you’re feeling particularly creative, DIY your own bracelets and necklaces or pair with colourful nail art.

Friends who jewel together stay together (🥴)

A post shared by July Child (@julychildjewellery) on

Check out July Child’s jewellery for inspiration: www.julychild.co.uk. Or if you’d prefer to support small businesses, both @wantandwardrobe and @oopsydaisy_jewellery on Depop provide much more affordable options, and you can even ask for custom pieces!

4. Leather:

Leather, or faux leather, is the answer to those transitional-season woes. Whilst every girl in Bristol seems to own a black leather blazer, the brown leather jacket is becoming a must-have item for autumn and is perfect thrown over any outfit on a chilly day.

Jaden Blazer in Brown | Weekday | £60 

Why not combine brown faux leather with the blazer trend with this option from Weekday? Faux leather trousers are also great for dressing up more casual outfits – pair with trainers and a hoodie to go to lectures, or wear with a skimpy tie-back top on a night out. This pair of faux leather high-waisted trousers from Zara are a wardrobe staple if you’re a fan of this look!

Faux Leather Mom Fit Trousers| Zara | £29.99

5. Collars:

Peter Pan collars seem to have made a bigger, better comeback – the frillier and more feminine the collar, the better. Who What Wear has stated that ‘Ganni should be credited for reigniting this almost-nostalgic love for Peter Pan collars’, which are to be seen all over their website.

Poplin Blouse with Peter Pan Collar | Zara | £29.99

But for a more affordable option, get yourself a puff-sleeve blouse with an oversized collar like this one from Zara and pair it with a tennis skirt, tights, and loafers or layer under a jumper. For a more subtle look, cardigans with collars are also on trend right now – layer over a t-shirt and a dainty necklace or wear buttoned up.

An Ode to Summer Fashion

Fast fashion and the Social Media Influencer: A Toxic Combination?

Featured Image: Graphics by Morgan Collins/Epigram

What's your favourite transitional wardrobe staple?