University gym undergoes £180,000 refurb over the holidays

The Indoor Sports Centre, on Tyndall Avenue, now boasts new cardio machines, free weights and weight machines.

by Mark Ross, Co-Editor-in-Chief

The University of Bristol’s main gym has been revamped over the Christmas break, with almost all of its equipment being replaced.

The changes were partly driven by increased demand for free weights use, particularly amongst women, as well the University’s desire for students to have access to ‘first rate, modern equipment’.

New free weights have been added | Courtesy of the University Press Office

Most changes are like-for-like swaps, but new additions include an arm curl machine and a calf press machine.

In 2018, the venue received a £4.9 million overhaul that increased capacity by 30 per cent and brought in state-of-the-art facilities. The centre now hosts two gyms; studios for classes; a sports hall; indoor running track and sports medicine clinic.

The new machines are also energy efficient models, which will save a mimunum of 10Kw of electricity – or 2.33kg in CO2 emissions – per day. This will contribute towards the University’s target of achieving carbon neutrality by 2030.

Staff member Paul enjoys the new equipment | Courtesy of the University Press Office

James Rowntree, Group Health and Fitness Manager at the University, said: ‘We want gym-goers to have access to first rate, modern equipment.

‘The old equipment had been well used so we wanted to make the change in time for the New Year and new semester.

‘In the last five years we’ve seen a big increase in people lifting weights, including many more women which is fantastic to see. That’s why we’ve increased our free weights.

‘We hope everyone likes the changes and can’t wait to see you all getting stuck in.’

Students and staff can subscribe for a discounted membership. These facilities are also open to the public.