The University of Bristol's brat summer: a fresher's guide

Though the summer months may be fading as freshers arrive in the city, there are still ample oppurtunities to re-live a brat summer experience in Bristol.

By Tegan Leonard, Fourth Year Comparative Literature and Cultures

If you want to hear those club classics you’re better off staying away from the likes of Brass Pig and PRYZM. For the inside scoop on how to have the brattiest Freshers Week, look no further. Charli has unleashed a wave of hedonistic, carefree energy that resonates with anyone looking to break free from the ordinary - something that encompasses Bristol University students perfectly. 

The Apple

'I think the apple's rotten right to the core, from all the things passed down, from all the apples coming before.' Quite literally, as an ex Apple warrior myself I can give first hand advice that The Apple is the brattiest institution on King Street. Not only is it a pub that is an actual boat, specialising in local ciders, nothing can isolate the quintessential feeling of Bristol just quite like The Apple.

The biggest brats however seem to be the staff who can regularly be seen blasting Charli XCX and hyperpop out from the outside bar, performing and entertaining customers with magic tricks, synchronised dance routines and occasional nudity. The 8.4 percent cider, the Old Bristolian is also an extraordinary budget friendly way to pre. Consider The Apple your floating playground.

The Apple | Tegan Leonard

Turbo Island

This patch of urban wilderness, located at the junction of Stokes Croft and Jamaica Street, has become a legendary hangout for those who live on the edge - literally and figuratively. Turbo Island isn’t just a place; it’s a state of mind. This island certainly contains a shipwreck and some lost souls, it normally caters to an eccentric crowd of people including those who have just left the surrounding clubs of stokes croft and want to continue the party.

With threats of gentrification that have haunted Stokes Croft in recent years Turbo Island reflects this Benjamin Button persona - just when you think the nights over, it’s only getting more alive. It is the undestroyable island, the cockroach that can be seen in Wall-ee. Although tarmaced over in attempts to dismantle all its beauty it prevails; flourishing with life.

It’s a realm where societal norms are upended, and the barriers between diverse subcultures dissolve into a collective expression of freedom. There are no rules, no pretences - just an open space where creativity, rebellion, and camaraderie intersect. Bonus points if you can jump over the fire.

Turbo Island | Tegan Leonard

The Bag of Nails

The Bag of Nails is a haven for those who reject the mundane. With its eclectic interior featuring mismatched furniture, vintage memorabilia, and an assortment of curiosities, the pub exudes an aura of charming chaos that resonates with martyr Charli XCX’s boundary-pushing ethos. The most non clean girl aesthetic brat summer of it all is the array of different coloured cat hairs you can find floating at the surface of your non conventional pint that will probably be some format of pretentious amber ale.

Of course, as it should be mentioned the true punters of this pub are the cats that reside here. Cattitude and brattitude go hand in hand and although aloof at first soon enough they’ll come crawling to you. If you can get past the aroma that circulates the room, quite poorly during Winter then The Bag of Nails is the perfect spot for an afternoon pint, a date night or pre’s for more fun waiting to commence. 

The Bag of Nails | Tegan Leonard

Strange Brew

Nestled on Fairfax Street, this multi-purpose space is a magnet for the city’s most creative and rebellious spirits. It’s where the boldness of a Charli XCX anthem meets the raw energy of Bristol’s underground scene, making it a must-visit for anyone living their bratty summer to the fullest. In my time in Bristol I have visited Strange brew in all of its shaping formats as a pop up vintage sale, a queer art workshop, an opening screening for a short film, a latin bass event and most importantly the open mic Jazz nights they hold on Mondays.

If you want versatility, Strange Brew is your bag. Although one of the more relatively new venues on this list Strange Brew makes itself known - combining the gritty charm of a warehouse party with the intimacy of a speakeasy. The venue’s industrial aesthetic, with its exposed brick, dim lighting, and minimalist decor, sets the stage for nights that feel like stepping into a Charli XCX music video—full of moody vibes, electric energy, and a touch of chaos.

The combination of music, art, and nightlife collide in a thrilling display of creativity and rebellion that cannot be recreated anywhere else in Bristol and sums up the city in one perfect packet of naughtiness.

Strange Brew | Tegan Leonard
Featured Image: Tegan Leonard

What are your staples of a Bristolian brat summer?