Spotlight | More than just a shop: Visiting the Clifton Community Bookshop

Elizabeth Abbott speaks to a volunteer at the Clifton Community Bookshop to explore its role in the local community.

By Elizabeth Abbott, Third Year, History and English

With technology now playing a key role in how we form connections with others, it is easy to overlook the importance of preserving in-person community hubs. For Ella, a volunteer at the Clifton Community Bookshop, one of the central aspects of the shop is fostering community.

Nestled just outside Clifton Village, the Clifton Community Bookshop was established to sell ‘low-cost books for local people’ and to provide ‘a space for the community’. In addition to this, the shop showcases the multi-faceted nature of Bristol’s cultural scene as a space that is also hired out for creative classes and events. The proceeds of the outlet go towards local arts charity, The Studio Upstairs, which provides art workshops for people with mental or emotional difficulties.

'Clifton Community Bookshop' | Nel Roden / Epigram

To gain insight into the shop’s ethos, Epigram spoke to Ella, who has been volunteering at Clifton Community Bookshop for three years.

When Epigram visited on a typical Saturday morning, customers were regularly wandering in and out of the shop. One woman, who was dropping off some books for the first time, even exclaimed, ‘I think you’re fantastic here’, and promised to donate her books every time she returned to Clifton. The day unfolded against a backdrop of contented, book-loving visitors.

When asked about the availability of community spaces in Bristol, Ella expressed concern that there aren’t enough. She did, however, stress that the Clifton Community Bookshop is a step in the right direction, emphasising that ‘it is such an important space [for the community] to have’.

'Outside the shop' | Nel Roden / Epigram

Ella believes that by nature a bookshop is a ‘community’ space. However, beyond the name, there are concrete ways to measure this role. The bookshop is a key attraction in Bristol, bringing people together from all walks of life through their shared love of reading. The shop has recently taken steps to expand its appeal and attract a broader audience. In an effort to create a more inclusive environment, they have introduced a dedicated children’s section, recognising the importance of fostering a love for reading from a young age.

In addition to connecting the wider Bristol community, the bookshop places a strong emphasis on fostering a close-knit, supportive environment for its volunteers. The owner of the shop, Jane Brown, organises several get-togethers for the volunteers, with the volunteer group chat providing a space for togetherness.

For Ella, the bookshop has been a consistent presence throughout her time at university. Though she began volunteering because she loved books, the shop has now become a much-needed space for Ella to take a break from the stresses of university life. For other visitors, it provides a break from work and everyday stresses.

Not only do customers visit the bookshop for its expansive selection of books, but also for the array of creative workshops the outlet offers. On most Tuesday evenings from seven to nine, the shop is open for their ‘Tuesday Talks’, an event that aims to ‘bring together like-minded people, to present new projects, and just to talk about interesting things’. On a Wednesday evening once a month the shop hosts what it describes as a ‘mid-brow’ Book Club, with the first Wednesday of each month being reserved for a Tarot Study Group where the only requirement for attendance is that you ‘bring your curiosity and intuition’. Additionally, every Thursday the shop is transformed into a space for yoga classes. Hosted by Pam, a ‘multi-disciplined practitioner in everything from yoga, dance, movement, and radio’, the class aims to help those attending build their strength and explore ‘a deep sense of relaxation’

Beyond the books: The importance of social spaces on campus
In Conversation with Marc Burrows on The Magic of Terry Pratchett

The interview with Ella only brightened the already glowing image of the bookshop, highlighting how much more it is than just a place to buy books. It is a thriving community hub that provides a space for people from all walks of life; offering both a wide selection of books and an exciting array of events and activities that encourage creativity, connection, and personal growth. Whether it’s through volunteering, attending a workshop, or simply browsing the shelves, the Clifton Community Bookshop fosters a sense of belonging, making it a vital part of Bristol’s cultural scene.

Featured Image: Epigram / Nel Roden

Will you be visiting Clifton Community Bookshop?