Review: Wunderhorse @ O2 Academy

Midas touches Bristol as English rock traditionalists deliver a golden night of success on third stop of sell-out UK tour.

By Megan FoulkCo-Deputy Music Editor

Highly anticipated, following the success of their new album Midas, which front man Jacob Slater discussed with Epigram in August, the Cornwall born solo-project-turned-four-piece exhausted Bristol O2’s capacity in a sweaty, sold-out spectacle that lacked only a little in spontaneity. 

Whilst not new to the scene, the release of Midas feels somewhat a re-birth for Wunderhorse. Originally a solo project for Slater - following the end of his former project Dead Pretties - the new album sees the band’s first offerings as a collective. Achieving sixth place in the album charts in its first week of release, the future certainly looks promising.

With a fanbase that has increased exponentially since their debut Cub, and a recently announced headline show at Alexandra Palace to prove it, I was prepared for a sardine squashing experience at Bristol’s O2 Academy. What I hadn’t accounted for however, was the overwhelmingly male audience demographic. 

A post shared by WUNDERHORSE (@wunderhorse_)

Using my elbows to compensate for my lack of height in the fight for a view of the stage, the anticipation from fans in the room was palpable. So dedicated were the pair of teenage boys to my left, that there was always the option of watching the gig through their iPhone screens, as they proceeded to stream the performance in its entirety. 

Such desperation to capture the moment – albeit mildly irritating at times – only exemplifies the band’s ascension in popularity and whilst I chuckled inwardly (thinking of Slater’s own expressed dislike of social media in conversation with Epigram) it was impossible not to acknowledge the success such devotion reflects. 

As the opener for the evening, ‘Midas’ wrapped up, there felt an uncanny comparison to the myth that shares its name. Inciting a manic response from fans, the band truly seemed as if they wielded the power to turn everything within their touch to gold. 

Wunderhorse | Polocho 2024

Continuing with another of the album’s singles ‘Rain’, the urgency of the repeated bridge section was the perfect vehicle to sustain the opening energy of the show, before the calmer, contemplative ‘Emily’ offered a change of pace. 

Pausing for a little nostalgic indulgence, Cub singles ‘Leader of the Pack’ and ‘Purple’ had the venue singing in unison, bathed in lilac light. So loud were the lyrics, it wasn’t difficult to imagine a similar moment in a stadium-filled tour in a few years’ time.

A thought that plagued me for much of the show, the entire performance had the sense of a band that knows they’re doing well. Hesitant to engage in crowd work and heavy on the build-up into the encore, the four truly feel ready for the next stage of their success. 

Whilst I can’t deny they’re deserving, I felt perhaps the evening would have benefitted from a little more personality and a glimpse of their rougher edges. Before the predicted propulsion onto the shiny stages of ten-thousand capacity venues like Alexandra Palace next year, this leg of the UK tour offers the opportunity for audiences to witness the magic from the cheaper seats. Sacrificing spontaneity for professionalism, I only wished they could have had a tad more fun.

A spectacular night of music regardless, if anything, the evening was a reminder of the importance of grassroots venues. Whilst there's beauty in beholding a band you love achieving great success, there's also a certain charm to the tiny, spit and sawdust venues they were born in that can risk being lost when they're climbing up the ladder.

Featured Image: Megan Foulk

Do you prefer intimate gigs or stadium shows?