Review: FORWARDS Festival 2024

Just over a week since FORWARDS hit the Downs, Epigram reflect on what makes the forward-thinking festival so unique.

By Jake Paterson Music Editor and Megan Foulk Co-Deputy Music Editor

A festival that feels like it has been a permanent fixture in the calendar for Bristol gig-goers for decades, despite only being in its third year, FORWARDS returned with perfectly curated lineups, excellent organisation and a focus on the climate and future - remaining relevant in a time when UK festivals are struggling.

Situated on the universally loved Clifton Downs, FORWARDS is split over two main stages and a smaller stage that hosts, not only some of the most exciting up and coming artists, but also talks during the day on topics from gender identity to the climate crisis.

With a kids’ area in tow as well - getting young children their first exposure to some of the UK’s best alternative music - there really was something for everyone.

Saturday’s lineup was skewed around its headliner, Loyle Carner, hosting artists across the current jazz and rnb landscape. We arrived to see the saxophonist Nubya Garcia lay down mesmerising patterns and flows.

Yussef Dayes @ Forwards | Plaster

A central component of the London jazz scene for the past decade, without quite finding mainstream support, it was wonderful to see them have their moment and propel through cuts from their upcoming record and celebrated back catalogue.

The energy of Garcia’s platform continued into sets by Yussef Dayes and Greentea Peng. Dayes’ latest record Black Classical Music made a defining statement on his ambition for forming a band under his own name.

As a drummer, his timing was impeccable. Finding pockets and grooves everywhere, he inspired his saxophone and guitar players into solos that brought joy to everyone in the crowd.

Greentea Peng’s set was unique and unmistakeable. Their live vocals were frankly unbelievable, sounding better than they do on record, and they swooned the afternoon crowd with tracks like ‘Hu Man’ and new songs from upcoming projects. 

A post shared by Forwards Bristol (@forwardsbristol)

When the evening took a direction more in favour of dance and electronic music, Romy was the crowning jewel of them all. A member of The xx, known for their sombre and minimal indie tracks, Romy’s debut album Mid Air, released last year, saw her drop the guitar and pick up synth pads.

Delightfully fun, her presence on stage was high in energy, running from one side to the other to interact with everyone, waving to people, and playing hits like ‘Enjoy Your Life’ and ‘She’s On My Mind’. Loads of young men turned up at the end to hear the Fred again.. produced ‘Strong’, which sent the crowd into a frenzy.

It was a shame that Joy (Anonymous) couldn’t transfer this jubilant energy in their own set, instead hitting play on remixes that faded into monotony.

Replacing Maribou State, the indie soul group that pulled out due to illness, the late addition of the producer felt like a rushed decision and was definitely a too big a slot to fill just before the headliner.

Joy (Anonymous) @ Forwards | Plaster

In strong contrast, Four Tet closed the East stage down with a kaleidoscopic show, proving him to be a true master of his craft. Eclectic and diverse, he took us through tried and tested tunes with a fantastic accompanying light show.

When it was time for Loyle Carner to take the stage for the headline slot, there was no mistake that he would open with ‘Hate’. Playing now with a full band, adding an incredible amount of depth and emotion to tracks new and old, the sound filled the thousands of people watching with awe.

Whilst older tracks like ‘Dameslfly’ and ‘Loose Ends’ had the most people singing along, it was a real treat to hear the production of new songs like ‘A Lasting Place’ and ‘Speed of Plight’ filled out to new depths than on the record.

Taking time to remind us of just how much of a treasure of a human being he is, Carner repeatedly talked about his three-year-old son and the impression he wants to make on him - taking down the tropes of toxic masculinity that he himself grew up with.

He was also not short of kind words about Bristol, having played what must now be ten shows in the same amount of years in the city. The crowd knew the songs word for word and when he introduced ‘Ice Water’ simply by saying the opening verse, people around us were ready to respond perfectly.

Returning for the encore with a new song performed as a poem, Carner followed with ‘Ottolenghi’, which had friends and lovers embracing and belting Jordan Rakei’s chorus back with aplomb.

He returned for a second time to read another poem, to appease the crowd, ravenous for more. In a city where it’s difficult to go a day without seeing a Loyle Carner t-shirt on Whiteladies Road, the respect and adoration for the headliner was beautiful to see.

CMAT @ Forwards | Plaster

Sunday fell victim to the weather and heading to the Downs in my raincoat I was reminded of a similar soggy trek to Ashton Court in May. However, despite its best efforts, the storm didn’t get the better of the day. 

Her usual picture of unbridled joy (dressed in a leopard print uniform copied by all the band) CMAT was only a handful of songs into her set when 'Whatever’s Inconvenient' was - ironically - interrupted. 

As the cameras cut, red warning messages were displayed either side of the stage: ‘Lightening has been observed nearby / For Safety Reasons we need to close the stage while it passes / Please Stay Away from Structures and Trees’ and the band hurried off, leaving a strangely apocalyptic feeling to settle across the site. 

Jessie Ware @ Forwards | Plaster

Thankfully only sacrificing twenty-five minutes, the Irish country-pop singer returned packing more punch than when she first entered, cheering: ‘you lot are legends for sticking it out in the rain!’

Explosively fun, it wouldn’t be the last sighting of CMAT that day, as she made up for lost time joining Yard Act on stage later on. 

Providing the healthy dose of English rock that all UK festivals require, Yard Act frontman James Smith certainly looked the part in an almost floor length grey trench coat and thick rimmed glasses. Inciting a welcome rowdiness in the crowd, his energy left me wondering how he manages it night after night. 

Despite the unlikely crossover, the addition of CMAT and her band on stage definitely ensured the audience weren’t left feeling shortchanged by the previous weather hiccup. As the collective danced and waved various percussion instruments, it was a delight to watch musicians be musicians - having fun. 

A post shared by Jessie Ware (@jessieware)

Finally given an opportunity to dry off, the stage transformed into ‘The Pearl’ nightclub in preparation for Jessie Ware’s disco offering. 

Appearing under an enormous disco ball, Ware was joined by backing singers and a dancing brass section, setting the ultimate disco scene. Irresistibly fun, not a phone was in sight among the crowd. Something which I noted as unusually refreshing. 

Although not joined by collaborator Romy (having already performed on Saturday), the performance of her latest release, 'Lift You Up' supplied vibes aplenty. Visiting the crowd at the barrier for her own slice of the party, Ware returned to the stage laden with flowers and an umbrella.

LCD Soundsystem @ Forwards | Plaster

A retro pop switch up after Yard Act, a visit to ‘The Pearl’ was what everybody needed after hours of rain. 

Descending into nighttime, the East and West stages geared up for their headliners: Underworld and LCD Soundsystem. 

Opening with dance track 'Two Months Off'Underworld had come prepared. Making the Downs their dance floor, strobe lighting and a slideshow of images kept eyes and ears entertained throughout. 

On the other side of the field, Brooklyn-based electronic rock band LCD Soundsystem put on an equally mesmerising show. Utilising the disco ball centrepiece left behind from Ware’s set, the light show took on an entirely new dynamic. 

LCD Soundsystem @ Forwards | Plaster

A well-oiled machine of musicianship, the band displayed true talent on stage and were the perfect close to an impressively eclectic weekend of music. 

Featured Image: Plaster

Who was your favourite artist at Forwards 2024?