Preview: IDLES Benefit Concert for War Child @ O2 Academy

Bristol-hailing punk rock band IDLES return to Bristol not only to promote their most recent album ‘TANGK’, but also in aid of the charity War Child.

By Amelie Peters, Music Subeditor 

IDLES return once again to Bristol in a surprise one-off gig in aid of the charity War Child, supported by talent such as 86TVS, Zalizo, Boca 45 and hosted by acclaimed comedian Stewart Lee. 

Performing with their usual manic and zealous energy, the band never disappoints. Tickets are set to be released at 10AM on the 16th of August.

A post shared by I D L E S (@idlesband)

The event promises to celebrate the joyous nature of both the indie and punk sides of the music scene whilst simultaneously creating a beautiful statement of solidarity at a time when compassion and charity are vital. All the proceeds from the event will go directly to War Child, a charity dedicated to the protection, education and defence of the rights of children in war.  

Photo Credit | Plaster Communications

Rich Clarke, Head of War Child Records comments: ‘War Child is hugely grateful to the artist community for coming together to create this amazing night of live music at O2 Academy Bristol. So many people have donated their time and energy to bring this show together and help War Child stand up for the rights of children affected by war.

We deliver life-changing services and support in communities affected by conflicts to keep children safe and help them to heal and learn for the chance of a better future. The impact of the situation will affect an entire generation and there will be acutely vulnerable children who need our help to stay safe. The money raised by this gig will make sure that we can respond quickly to children who need that support right now.’

The night is comprised of a star-studded lineup, featuring performances by ex-Maccabees indie rock band 86TVs who promise to stun with their sorrowful lyrical sentiments. Inspired by the passing of time and grief, their recent single ‘Komorebi’ (directly translated as ‘sunlight leaking through the trees’) is undoubtedly a heart wrencher and one to listen out for on the night. 

Joining the lineup is Zalizo (ЗАЛІЗО in Ukrainian, meaning Iron/Metal), an experimental rock quartet based in Bristol that presents a blend of Ukrainian lyrics, guitars, saxophone, pulsing drums, and modular synths. 

A post shared by ЗАЛІЗО (@zalizoband)

Previously seen at events such as Dot to Dot and headlining sets at Strange Brew, Zalizo is a rising talent and not one to miss. Finally, a DJ set by the legendary Bristol native Boca 45 will be spinning his mix of funk, hip-hop and beats. 

Tickets will be available exclusively on Ticketmaster for £50 General Admission and are sure to sell out fast. On the day, there will be limited edition merch for sale along with a raffle draw to win some one-of-a-kind prizes. Tickets for the raffle will be £5 and can be purchased at the venue with all funds raised going directly to War Child.   

Featured Image: Benji Chapman

Will you be there for this memorable night?