Preview: Dot to Dot Festival 2023

With Yard Act, Alvvays and The Murder Capital topping the bill for this years' instalment, Dot to Dot promises yet again to be an unforgettable festival in Bristol.

By Jake Paterson, Co-Deputy Music Editor

Returning to Bristol for 2023, the inner-city multi-venue day festival bringing the best of both rising and established names in alternative music has announced its lineup for this year's instalment on May 27.

In what can only be described as a festival you have to experience to fully get to grips with, Dot to Dot sees artists perform across venues within Bristol meaning you often need to run from Thekla to the O2 Academy to try and catch your favourite artists in time. What promises to be another exciting and jam-packed day, the 2023 edition sees Alvvays, Yard Act and The Murder Capital take the top spots amongst many other names new and old.

Dot to Dot Lineup 2023

Unmissable Bands

Image: Nic Pedron

Having released their critically acclaimed third album Blue Rev last year, Alvvays' heady mix of shoegaze, dreampop and indie rock is sure to lull you into a swoon. Having last played Bristol in 2018, their return to the city is sure to be met with energy from a crowd eager to hear classics such as 'Dreams Tonight', 'Archie, Marry Me' and hopefully 'Bored In Bristol'.

Off the back of their Mercury nominated debut album The Overload, Yard Act's distinctly brutal Englishness saw them leap into the post-brexit post-punk scene with finesse. With acclaim from the likes of Elton John, their groovy takes on talk-punk are sure to whip up a storm as they headline the festival for what will be their third Bristol show in a year.

The introspective and dark post-punk outfit The Murder Capital will also play on the Saturday. Expect to hear visceral and surging tracks across their discography as they continue to push the limits of guitar music.

Another big name making a return is Kofi Stone. Having supported Loyle Carner on his recent EU tour, Kofi Stone's emotional lyricism meets some of the best hip-hop samples that separate him as an artist full of humility. Sure to be full of energy as the crowd sways along to 'Busker Flow' or 'It's Ok to Cry', it's fantastic to have him back in the limelight.

Ones to Watch

Image: pinkpirate

Alongside the headlining names, Dot to Dot is famous for giving a platform for artists like Dua Lipa, The 1975, Beach House and Laura Marling before they made it. Keeping your schedule open for artists you have yet to discover is an absolute must to make the most of the festival.

Pinkpirate is Bognor Regis' answer to The Japanese House. Having released the Nowhere EP in 2019, full of some of the most intimate and heartbreaking stripped down guitar tracks you will ever hear, they returned last year with the pop infused EP I Don't Want to Grow Up Boring. Expect to hear dancefloor ready tracks like 'Can We Talk About The Past Instead?' alongside moments to embrace your mates to.

Infused with stoner rock and shoegaze, Wombo are sure to simultaneously bring grit and beauty to the festival with a wide reaching set. Other names not to miss are Heartworms, Ishmael Ensemble, Nell Mescal and Tinyumbrellas.

With one of its best lineups in recent times, this year's Dot to Dot is not one be missed and is the perfect way to let off steam post-exams.

Tickets are available here.

Dot to Dot returns to Bristol on the 27th of May