New scholarship launched to attract disadvantaged students

The University has launched a new scholarship aimed at attracting students from disadvantaged backgrounds.

By Maddy Russell, Second Year Politics & International Relations

The Futures Scholarship Programme is open to incoming undergraduates, classed as those being from disadvantaged backgrounds and offers a first-year bursary of £2,000.

The introduction of the scholarship has been presented by the University as a means of providing extra reassurance to prospective students, who are unsure whether they can afford the costs of studying at Bristol.

In addition to the initial bursary, students will also be offered £2,500 to aid potential career opportunities during their studies, such as internships or work experience placements.

In a statement, Undergraduate Education Officer, Nasra Ayub said: ‘Students from disadvantaged backgrounds need support, not only to get to University, but also when they are in University.

'It's great to see the introduction of the new Futures Scholarship Programme and I'm pleased to see the University's commitment to this. We have a long way to go and look forward to seeing and assisting the University address the current imbalance at Bristol’

The programme, which is to be funded by donations from the University’s alumni and friends, will aim to support around 50 undergraduate students each year.

Those designated as eligible for the scheme will also receive guidance and careers support from a specialist coordinator.

The University has stated that it hopes the introduction of the scholarship will ensure disadvantaged students the opportunity to engage in a wide range of programmes aimed at building confidence and networking skills.

Professor Sarah Purdy, Pro Vice Chancellor for student experience, said: ‘We know the financial burden of fees, food, travel and living costs adds up quickly and can be a real deterrent for students who come from financially disadvantaged backgrounds.

‘Bristol is committed to attracting the best and brightest students, and we hope the Futures Scholarship Programme will remove some of these financial worries and barriers.'

The introduction of the scholarship follows a report by Epigram that Bristol is amongst the worst five universities in the UK for its imbalance between students from advantaged and disadvantaged regions.

Featured image: Twitter/ @BristolUni

Do you think the scholarship will improve the diversity of Bristol's intake? Let us know below!

Facebook // Epigram // Twitter // Instagram