Inside Out 2: Overly Simplified or Deeply Authentic?

The film provides an opportunity for self-recognition, validation, and communal understanding about the trials and tribulations of early adolescence for the entire age spectrum. 

Courtesy of IMDb

By Olivia Howard, Third Year, Geography with Study Abroad

With growing criticism of Pixar since Disney's acquisition in 2006, Inside Out 2 has revitalised the studio's standing in Hollywood, at least for now. Many critics had declared Pixar's glory days over, reminiscing about classics like Toy Story and Up

However, Inside Out 2 has defied these expectations, becoming Pixar’s highest-grossing movie ever as of July 2024, surpassing Incredibles 2 by reaching over $1.46 billion in global ticket sales. This also makes it the highest-grossing animated film of all time, confirming the film's popularity. 

Inside Out 2 picks up where its predecessor left off, with the enigmatic "Puberty" button looming large. As Riley enters the summer before high school, her emotional landscape becomes increasingly complex. New emotions— Anxiety, Embarrassment, Envy, and Ennui—join the core team of Joy, Sadness, Anger, Fear, and Disgust, triggered by the onset of puberty. 

Courtesy of IMDb

When Riley discovers that her best friends, Bree and Grace, won’t be attending the same high school, this sets off a cascade of emotions in Riley, including abandonment, jealousy, and the fear of missing out (FOMO). A positive critique of the film is the clear depiction of these emotions, able to validate the experiences of young teens, showing them that such feelings are natural, even if they aren’t always easy to articulate or wear on ones sleeve. 

Driven by these anxieties, Riley focuses on fitting in with the "cool" Fire Hawks, a prestigious hockey team she desperately wants to join, even at the cost of neglecting her old friendships. As Anxiety and Joy vie for control over Riley's emerging belief system—a more complex and mature evolution of the core memories from the first film. 

This inner struggle leads to a dramatic upheaval, reminiscent of the first film, where Riley’s original emotions are once again banished from headquarters. The journey through Riley’s mind reveals new compartments and witty elements like a "Sar-chasm," reflecting the humour and creativity that Pixar is known for. 

Critically, Inside Out 2 resonates with multiple demographics on multiple levels. For younger audiences, it provides a framework for understanding and navigating their emotions during the often confusing adolescent years. The film offers a sense of recognition and validation, showing that feelings like jealousy and anxiety are a normal part of growing up.

Maya Hawke’s portrayal of Anxiety, for example, has been praised by bodies such as INDIE WIRE for personifying this quasi-antagonistic force. “Their performance captures the essence of a feeling that, while wanting the best for Riley, can wreak havoc if left unchecked”, says INDIE WIRE. 

For adults, the film offers a window into the teenage brain, highlighting the complexities and internal conflicts that adolescents face. The openness of the film enables adults to revisit their own childhoods, acknowledging the film's role in teaching people to embrace all emotions, as they are necessary to personal development. 

Courtesy of IMDb

Despite some criticism that Inside Out 2 lacks sophistication—particularly in how Riley's reactions to her emotions can seem abrupt and unrefined—the film’s ability to address profound themes in an accessible, lighthearted manner is a testament to Pixar's storytelling prowess. Further to this, The Guardian’s Bradshaw has critiqued the film for not addressing Riley’s lust, potentially due to fear of getting involved in an identity debate regarding gender expression and sexuality. 

Critics may debate its formulaic elements or argue about what’s missing, but the true art of this movie lies in its capacity to spark meaningful conversations within families about emotions that might otherwise be too awkward to discuss. This emotional honesty, delivered through a story that balances humour with the harsh realities of growing up. 

Ultimately, Inside Out 2 offers a powerful opportunity for self-recognition, validation, and communal understanding about the trials and tribulations of early adolescence. While some may argue that Riley’s emotional repertoire is incomplete, the film sets the stage for future explorations of romance, identity, and the complexities of parental relationships with greater nuance. 

Did you enjoy Inside Out 2?