Fenne Lily, Skinny Living and Dodie @ O2 Academy, 23/03

Preconceptions overturned: Lizzie Cope reviews Dodie's show at the O2 Academy, with support from local singer/songwriter Fenne Lily and Wakefield four-piece Skinny Living

Being pretty unacquainted with the music of 22-year-old youtuber and singer/songwriter Dodie Clark, I arrived at her concert with preconceptions of a cutesy, slightly saccharine teenage idol. The sea of flower crowns and cat-ear headbands in the audience of the O2 Academy supported my initial impression, as did the deafening screams that accompanied Dodie’s arrival onstage, the pitch and volume of which can only be produced by overly-excited fourteen-year-old girls. However, after watching Dodie’s set, it was clear to me that she has much more substance than I had expected.

As Dodie said herself, she is ‘known for sad songs’ and, indeed, she sang with a vulnerability and sincerity that made her instantly likeable. She opened with ‘Would You Be So Kind,’ a wistful, yet optimistic song about the pains of unrequited love, which got the audience singing and dancing along. After this, her set eased into heavier topics, from confused sexuality in ‘She’ to ‘Bitter Content,’ which explored the dark side of social media. During ‘When,’ Dodie swapped her trademark ukulele for the piano, which really emphasised the song’s poignancy, as she wondered: ‘am I the only one wishing life away?’.

Skinny Living thoroughly engaged the audience, guiding them through emotional songs, such as ‘Messiah,’ to the euphoric dance beat of ‘No Low, No Lower Than Low.’ Well worth a listen.

Although many of Dodie’s songs were indeed ‘sad,’ the moving subject matter was balanced by her soothing vocals and the delicately upbeat sound of her ukulele. Her underlying message of hope was encapsulated in her final song ‘Secret for the Mad,’ in which she reassured those who, like her, struggle with mental health that ‘it’ll all make sense again.’

The support acts complemented Dodie’s performance well. Bristolian singer/songwriter Fenne Lily’s acoustic set had a slightly ethereal quality, which was enjoyable, although it was in danger of becoming a little repetitive. She was followed by ‘Skinny Living,’ a four piece band from Wakefield, who drastically increased the energy in the room. Lead vocalist Ryan Johnston’s voice was smooth and expertly controlled, well-suited to the band’s soulful lyrics. Skinny Living thoroughly engaged the audience, guiding them through emotional songs, such as ‘Messiah,’ to the euphoric dance beat of ‘No Low, No Lower Than Low.’ Well worth a listen.

“fucking hell” - me, walking out onstage at bristol 📷 @jamesxxkay

A post shared by dodie (@doddleoddle) on

However, Dodie was the clear star of the show, and after watching her set, it was easy to see why she has such a loyal fan base. Her genuine emotional depth and her openness about serious issues make her accessible and inspirational to a wide audience even if, like me, your music taste is usually a little less sweet.

Featured image: Facebook / Dodie

Did you catch this show? Tell us what you thought...