News2023

Open wide for Bristol’s new Dental School

The University of Bristol is set to open the doors of the new Dental School today.

The Dental School's main reception area with a mural by Bex Glover - Image courtesy of University of Bristol

By Ellyssa Ashley Rozahan, News Investigations Editor

Bristol's new Dental School opens today. The new School will allow for more student placements, free dental treatments for the local community, and contribute to the local dental workforce.

Decorated by the hands of local artists, and overlooking the River Avon, the new School hosts a calming environment for patients and caregivers alike.

Located at 1 Trinity Quay, Avon Street, and spanning 7,300 square meters, the Dental School can be easily recognised through its art featuring Bristol-based artists.

Five sculptures, to be known as 'The Denticles', were brought to life by Aardman’s director and designer Gav Strange. Additionally, two murals by local artist Bex Glover can be found in the main reception area and in the children’s waiting area.

The Dental School’s expansion will allow the University to increase student placements by 25 percent. This goes hand in hand with the NHS Long Term Plan, which was aimed at increasing dental and hygiene training.

Dental students coming from Bristol are then expected to contribute more significantly to the dental workforce on both a local and national level.

Currently, Bristol dental students cater to the needs of 60,000 adult and children patients annually. Now, with the Dental School, Bristol dental students will be giving back to the local community through free dental treatment. With the support of a professional team of qualified clinical dentists, emergency dental clinics booked via 111 will be running daily during term time.

Being located next to the Temple Meads railway station, the new Dental School boasts a beautiful view of Trinity Quay.

The back of Bristol Dental School and River Avon - Image courtesy of University of Bristol

The new Dental School is greatly anticipated by students and staff alike. Dr. Barry Main, Head of Dental School and Consultant Senior Lecturer in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery praised the new student-empowered Dental School as it 'mirror[ed] the environment of real-world practice.'

Final year dental student, Joey Brett, compliments the building’s aesthetic, in particular the dental bays’ 'modern look' which feels refreshing for both patients and caregivers.

What do you think of the new Dental School?