Scarlett Sherrif recalls her experiences of dealing with the homeless and questions our assumptions about what addicts are entitled to.

The issue of homelessness is widespread and can affect anyone. It needs tackling and we need to treat people living on the streets with humanity. Over the holidays I volunteered for Crisis at Christmas.

I meet real people - funny, kind and mischievous, in spite of the fact that they have no bed, no routine, live on the margins of society and are often isolated from their families. The men and women I worked with were affected by addiction; I was working at a "wet" centre where attendees were allowed to have alcohol whenever they needed to.

When I looked up who is considered in "priority need" of emergency housing, I discovered that this applies to those who are ‘pregnant’, those who live with "dependants", those who are considered "vulnerable" due to disability or old age and those who are homeless as a result of a flood or disaster. There was no explicit consideration of mental health or addiction.

Related article: 'The streets will be silent no more' - giving a voice to Bristol's homeless

According to the government, you are given priority if "you are homeless through no fault of your own." However, addiction, which is widely regarded as an illness by psychologists, is shunned by society. So whilst "The Gate" shelter tried to do all it could to help its guests, at the end of the week many of them returned to their difficult lives on the streets.

Of course, pregnant women, families, old and disabled people should be given priority housing but that does not mean we can just accept that addicts will always be homeless. Yes, some of the guests are so troubled that they might well never be able to have a job again, but that does not mean they have no right to a roof over their head and that does not mean it is their fault they don’t have a home.

I watched a whole line of mainly young men take a bag of food, smile appreciatively and return my wish to them of a "happy new year", even though they would be living on the streets on 1 January and I would be staying in my parents’ house.

Addiction, which is widely regarded as an illness by psychologists, is shunned by society.
They may have had issues and at times been difficult, but their humanity was more than clear. They needed treatment and help; they didn’t need to be marginalised and left in the cold.

One old couple were unable to take the biscuits and baked beans we were handing out because their bags were full. "We live on the streets, how are we going to carry this stuff?" the lady asked. They could have been anyone’s grandparents.

We shouldn’t think of people as statistics, but even the statistics are shocking; according to Thames Reach the most recent figures show a 12 per cent rise in homelessness in the last year. In the meantime, the rent market is becoming increasingly privatised and housing is becoming a commodity to foreign investors.

Of course, pregnant women, families, old and disabled people should be given priority housing but that does not mean we can just accept that addicts will always be homeless.
Housing that should be used to support people - families, the disabled, that couple who had nowhere to call home and all the other addicts at the shelter who need safety, security and someone to trust. The government must tackle this situation, otherwise organisations such as Crisis will still be the only ones caring for rough sleepers.

They can give them a haircut, some counselling, some hot meals and a bed for a few nights, but they can’t give them a permanent roof over their heads. Only social housing does that.
 For the moment, though, it’s not on the radar of the Conservatives. They extended the right to buy, meaning less housing for those in need.

That leaves the rest of us able only to smile and acknowledge the rough sleepers we pass, perhaps buy them a sandwich or volunteer at a shelter or food bank.

Featured image: unsplash / Matt Collamer

Do you agree with any of the opinions in this article? Tweet us your views to @EpigramComment.

Facebook // Epigram Comment // Twitter