Christmas in Cabot Circus

Diana Wheatley reviews this year's Broadmead Christmas Market

By Diana Wheatley, Third Year, Physics & Philosophy

The Croft Magazine // Who hasn’t dreamt of spending Christmas Eve wandering the quaint streets of Frankfurt, surrounded by snow-lined stalls, with your hands clutching yet another spicy mulled wine?

Will it be able to bring us some of that much deserved Christmas magic? | Epigram / Savannah Coombe

For many of us this can’t be a reality, so we resort to Cabot Circus’ German Market. Will it be able to bring us some of that much deserved Christmas magic?

As hard as I tried, no manner of imagination could transport me to the slopes of the Alps or a chalet in Austria. Plus, those of you seeking independent stalls or unique gifts will be disappointed by the commercialised offerings.

For us Bristol residents it is a way to get into the Christmas spirit | Epigram / Savannah Coombe

However, while it perhaps is not the place to get those stocking fillers, there is something about being able to buy a Frankfurter or fill up on chocolate marshmallows that wouldn't be acceptable in any other surrounding. Aromas of cinnamon and honey follow you around the market, building incessant cravings until those extortionate prices seem incredibly reasonable.

A favourite seems to be enormous Yorkshire pudding wraps, maybe not a German tradition, but who could resist? Another popular store was selling hog roasts, with an entire hog roasting at the front of the stall.

Christmas Day- to dress or not to dress up?
A Camembert Wreath, Spiced Punch and Sticky Toffee Pud: The Recipe for Festive Feels!

It may not be the most original or remarkable Christmas market, I won’t rush to make my friends visit, but for us Bristol residents it is a way to get into the Christmas spirit. With lights, music and mulled wine, a Christmas market will always be a warming place, maybe it might also be time to start saving for flights to Germany?

Featured Image: Savannah Coombe

What did you think of Cabot's Christmas Market?