PROJECT:TALK UoB Society launch student-to-student support scheme

A mental health initiative set up by two Bristol medical students has launched a student-to-student support scheme and is seeking volunteers.

The University of Bristol PROJECT:TALK Society have launched the scheme to check-in with students who may be struggling during the pandemic.

PROJECT:TALK is a non-profit organization established earlier this year by fourth year Bristol medics George Cole and Daisy Hewitt, along with a team of students, that is focused on promoting mental fitness within the community.

PROJECT:TALK is seeking volunteers for its Peer Support Scheme to help students during the pandemic | Project:Talk

This is the first year that the University of Bristol PROJECT:TALK Society has been running, and the group say they ‘were keen to find ways to support all those students currently struggling due to the current COVID-19 restrictions – particularly those first years subject to a 14-day quarantine.’

Consequently, the group have set up their Peer Support Scheme, which will pair Bristol students who wish to offload and chat, with other students who have been trained and provided with resources.

The student volunteers will be provided with quality training resources through three online sessions provided by the experienced TOOLS TO:TALK team.

Explaining the nature of the scheme, George Cole told Epigram: ‘These calls will be friendly and relaxed, and we hope it will allow students an outlet to discuss some of the things they are going through, or at least provide some social interaction outside of their bubbles.

Fundraiser launched by PROJECT:TALK to help Bristol students in lockdown
Mental health initiative to bring together Bristol students over a pint on World Mental Health Day

‘We at PROJECT:TALK know that by openly engaging with our peers about what is going on in our lives, we can find the comfort and support we need. This scheme is run by students for students.’

‘They will also have all the information they need to signpost to any person they feel needs professional help to the appropriate services, and the information of who to contact if they are worried for a student’s safety.  

‘We are all concerned for the welfare of our fellow students at this unprecedented time, and we are glad to be providing an outlet for students who would like to make a positive impact on the situation to do so.’

For anyone who would like to get involved, or knows someone who they think would benefit from this service, they can click the link here to find the forms for volunteer applications and student sign-ups.

This initiative is supported by Epigram.

Featured Image: PROJECT:TALK

If you have any questions about the scheme, or think you could help us in any way, contact Bristoluni@projecttalk.org.uk