University of Bristol confirms multiple coronavirus cases among students

The University of Bristol has confirmed multiple cases of coronavirus amongst its student body, with one confirmed case in a hall of residence.

By Teddy Coward, Co-Editor-in-Chief

In a statement, a University of Bristol spokesperson stated that a handful of cases had been confirmed, but that ‘the number of students who have tested positive remains very low.’

The University says it is ‘monitoring the situation closely’ and will provide a further update if the situation ‘escalates.’

The University has reminded students 'of the importance of adhering to social distancing guidelines' including staying within living circles in Halls and wearing face coverings | Epigram / Lucy O'Neill

The confirmations of cases comes just days before teaching week commences on Monday, 5 October.

The spokesperson added: ‘We’re working closely with colleagues from Public Health England and Bristol City Council to manage these cases, and any individuals who have been in close contact with these students have been notified and advised to self-isolate for 14 days in line with Government advice. Everyone affected is being offered full support.

‘Our online reporting form is working well, as is the regular testing of our clinical students. We have an NHS testing centre on campus outside the Victoria Rooms and we’re working in partnership with Bristol City Council to explore options for a second one.

Staff express reluctance about return to in-person teaching amid surge in Coronavirus cases
VC Hugh Brady says lockdowns at other universities are a ‘wakeup call’ for Bristol students

‘We are also in advanced discussions around acquiring additional commercial testing capability for symptomatic staff and students.

‘All students have been encouraged to download the Government’s Test and Trace app and we have been regularly reminding them of the importance of adhering to social distancing guidelines. We will not hesitate to enforce disciplinary procedures against any student who is found to be breaking these important rules.

‘Being very much part of the city of Bristol, with many of our students living in the community, our numbers are contained within figures released by the local authority.’

Featured Image: Epigram / Filiz Gurer

For more information if you have coronavirus symptoms and are a University of Bristol student, click here.