The Tempest @ The Island ★★★★★

Brave Mirror Productions and an independent assembly of second year English students have put together a stunning rendition of Shakespeare’s The Tempest. They ingeniously turned a low budget show into a total feast for the imagination.

By Elena Venturelli, Second Year Physics and Philosophy

The Tempest / Lion Schellerer

It was refreshing to watch theatre in such a simple and intimate venue, comprising of chairs arranged around three walls of the room, so that most of the show took place in the centre of the room in full view of all the audience. They made great use of the space and equipment that they had, and the actors being in such close proximity, made the experience personal and enveloping. Even the clever use of lighting and sounds consumed the senses and had the audience enthralled.

The Tempest / Lion Schellerer

The minimalist use of props and costume was reminiscent of original Shakespeare performances, where the words of the actors paint their own stage scenery in the imagination of the audience. It was as if they brought classic Shakespearian drama back to life and put it in the middle of your living room!

They stripped theatre back to its basics: raw talent and ambitious creativity. Devoid of fancy sets and excessive glitter, the audience were able to focus on the depth and meaning of the play, without unnecessary distractions. This showcased the excellent acting and brilliant casting.

The Tempest / Lion Schellerer

The casting was cleverly pulled off: the superseding of gender in many of the characters, made the play progressive and pure. Even the division of the role of Prospero between 3 actors became a symbolic part of the play, and give a sense of unity and highlighted the changes that humans undergo in the quest to become better, more forgiving people- which is what the character of Prospero stands for after all! They portrayed the comedic aspect in a funny, modern and approachable way- it felt as if I was involved in the drunken mischief of Stephano and Trinculo! It even featured some interesting political parallels, which are relevant to the very current struggle between socialism and capitalism. These were explored wonderfully through the master-servant relationships and the obviously socialist character of Gonzalo.

The Tempest / Lion Schellerer

Brave Mirror was only founded in July 2019, and The Tempest was their first ever production, which makes their show all the more impressive. They completely sold out their tickets for all three evenings. As their company name suggests, their aim is to be ‘unflinching and brave in mirroring our reality’, because they believe that creators can’t and shouldn’t ignore ‘the conditions in which they are creating’. This production is a wonderful example of what can be accomplished with enough passion and hard work. I left the show feeling that I had witnesses something beautifully human.

|AMRA @ Spike Island ★★★★★

All in all, they successfully maintained the Shakespearian tradition whilst holding up a mirror to modern society and providing awesome entertainment! It was a friendly, wholesome, and unique experience. I take my hat off to everyone involved and I can’t wait to see what Brave Mirror Productions get up to next!

★★★★★

Featured image credit: Lion Schellerer

Did you see The Tempest? What did you think of the performance?