Britain's first inland surfing lake set to open next month near Bristol

The country’s first-ever inland surfing lake is opening near Bristol in November and they are looking for inspiring members of the public to be among the first to try it out.

By Benjamin Salmon, Deputy News Editor

The Wave, which is launching in Easter Compton next month, is offering the first opportunity to try out the artificial wave to ‘ordinary people who have done extraordinary things.’

Founder of the project, Nick Hounsfield said: ‘I’m often asked who is going to ride the first waves and people assume it will be me.  I’ve always said that I don’t want it to be about me, and that there are many more deserving people.

‘We’re asking for nominations for inspiring people to ride our first public waves. We're looking for ordinary people that have done extraordinary things, everyday heroes that have overcome big problems or individuals who’ve achieved something amazing.’

No previous surfing experience is necessary to take part.

Speaking to Epigram, The Wave stressed their keenness to involve students in the project, saying: ‘we would love students to be nominated if they have done something inspiring.

‘We are closing nominations this week so they'll need to get in soon!’

Students can nominate someone by posting a video on social media explaining who they are proposing and why, tagging the @thewave and using the hashtags #FindYourWave and #Giveawave.

Otherwise, nominations can also be made via the Wave website. Winners will be selected at the end of October.

Due to open in November, The Wave is a brand-new concept that recreates the conditions of waves at sea, allowing both seasoned surfers and total novices the chance to enjoy surfing in all weather conditions.

Featured image credit: The Wave

Are you excited for The Wave to open? Do you think it will benefit the local area?