Review / Anna Calvi @ SWX

'Amongst layers of red mist and smoke, a figure of pure power, hunger and tenacity emerged', Music Sub-Editor Guy Marcham reviews Anna Calvi at SWX

By Guy Marcham, Music Sub-Editor

In a recent interview, one journalist remarked how Calvi spoke in a delicate 'quiet voice' that often proved 'inaudible' every time a car passed the café the two decided to meet in. Yet, once on stage at Bristol's SWX, Calvi represents a rather different animal. More a lion finally unleashed from its cage and ready to prey upon its victims with each screeching guitar solo and impassioned roar. In many regards, Calvi transforms into one incredibly badass rock star.

43287874_287605928742775_5391630544414965760_n-1

Amongst layers of red mist and smoke, a figure of pure power, hunger and tenacity emerged. Dressed in a sharp white jacket with smudged cherry red lipstick and eye shadow, Calvi began to prowl the erected runway which ran through the centre of the audience. From the off, Calvi's majestic guitar ability was apparent. She opened with a breathless, delicate dream like solo instrumental track, entitled 'Rider to The Sea'. As a result, a sense of intense beauty and enchantment rippled and reverberated throughout the audience. Yet this glistening ethereal atmosphere was soon torn apart as Calvi stalked back to the main stage. For what followed was a bolstered red wall of gothic art rock.

Within seconds, Calvi unleashed the monstrous prowling opening riff to 'Indies or Paradise' of her critically acclaimed new album, Hunter. Behind a pounding drumbeat, Calvi spoke of 'crawling through the trees like an animal', with a shear sense of boisterous demonic command. It was intense. It was no holds barred. It truly felt like watching a rock star, brimming with swagger and bite.

I’m so excited to introduce you to all these incredible artists who are DJing on my tour. Their work means a lot to me; I picked every single one. There’s so much treasure to discover 🖤🌈

A post shared by Anna Calvi (@annacalvi) on

Upon embarking on her nation-wide tour, Calvi stated her aim of creating an atmosphere that was 'confrontational and powerful' and how she succeeded. Lead single, 'Don't Beat the Girl Out of My Boy', which deals with the theme of gender fluidity, represented Calvi's unparalleled burst of energy. The song reaches a crashing denouement of operatic style vocals and crunching power chords, which saw Calvi exposed and on her knees on the runway that ran from the stage into the audience. Album title track, 'Hunter' demonstrated Calvi's ability to balance such an overarching sense of power with more fragile and spine tingling vocal arrangements. The repetition of the lyric 'nothing lasts', made for a dark and brooding under current.

The extreme level of intensity witnessed in Calvi's performance made for an experience like nothing else. Not only did Calvi pull off a live experience that raged with animalistic tendencies and teased with seductive alarm. She was able to also to create a wholly intimate experience. Calvi would prowl her runway and lock eyes with those in the audience, not breaking eye contact for prolonged guitar solos. The audience revelled in the chance to get up close and personal with their musical icon.

Having been to many gigs at Bristol on behalf of Epigram Music, Anna Calvi's storming set felt like something entirely different altogether. A blend of gutsy personal expression and uncaged raw intensity. More than just a set of songs, Calvi gave over something of herself and boy was it extraordinary.

Featured image: Guy Marcham/Epigram

Want to write a gig review for Epigram? Let us know.

Facebook/ Epigram / Twitter