Bristol University Joins National Hub to Tackle Diversity Challenges in Engineering and Sciences

Source: University of Bristol

The University of Bristol has joined a major new national initiative aimed at addressing persistent diversity challenges in the Engineering, Physical and Mathematical Sciences (EPMS) sector. The Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Hub+ will coordinate efforts across the UK to promote greater inclusivity.

By Josie Hodgson, News Co-Editor

Led by two University of Leeds Professors, Louise Jennings (Professor of Medical Engineering) and Vania Dimitrova (Professor of Human-Centred Artificial intelligence), eight universities across the UK have partnered together under their leadership in an effort to tackle underrepresentation.

The Hub+ is backed by a £2.5 million investment from the UKRI Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), and is focused on three key areas: improving career pathways for underrepresented groups, reforming research funding and processes, and fostering an inclusive organisational culture. The Hub+ is part of EPSRC’s three-year EDI action plan, designed to implement long-term, sustainable changes across the sector.

According to EPSRC Executive Chair, Professor Charlotte Deane, the Hub+ aims to address barriers preventing individuals from contributing to research and innovation.

'The diversity challenges we face deprive individuals of opportunity, with the result that the research and innovation system, and society more widely, cannot benefit from their contributions and perspectives,' said Professor Deane. 

'The EDI Hub+ will harness our collective knowledge to ensure that the best solutions are applied to the specific challenges faced by the EPMS community.'

EDI Hub+ Partner Universities

• University of Leeds
  • Aberystwyth University
  • Durham University
  • Heriot-Watt University
  • University of Bradford
  • University of Bristol
  • University of East Anglia
  • University of York

Proposals made by the Hub+ include support for underrepresented groups pursuing doctoral studies, alongside aiding those within critical career transitions. Enhancing leadership diversity across the sector is also a priority.

Professors Dimitrova and Jennings, the joint leads of the Hub+, are determined to create long-lasting change in the sector, aiming to empower individuals and ensuring that diversity and inclusion are integrated into everyday practice in EPMS research.

'We are passionate about this project because the time is ripe for evidence-based, sustained transformation in the EPMS community,' said Professor Jennings. 

'The level of interest we’ve already received from institutions and partners shows that there is a real appetite for change.'

Members from the University of Bristol have been echoing this enthusiasm, with Dr Jen Jennings, Associate Director of Research Development at the University of Bristol, saying:

'I am delighted to be involved in this exciting initiative, particularly given the recognition of the important role that the professional services staff within higher education institutions play in the embedding of sustainable practices to support equity, diversity and inclusion.'

Similarly, Professor Marcus Munafo, Associate Pro Vice-Chancellor for Research Culture, also at the University of Bristol, added:

'This is an exciting initiative that aligns perfectly with our recently-launched research culture vision and strategy.

'We have always been keen to work collaboratively across the sector to improve research culture, and this hub is another example of the power and value of working collectively.'

The Hub+ will build upon the work of existing initiatives, including the EPSRC Inclusion Matters projects, and will collaborate with other programmes also supported by UKRI, such as the EDI Caucus.