University of Bristol 24/25 team guides: Everything you need to know about our sport societies. Part Two.

Epigram has connected with a number of our sports societies in order to give them a direct voice to our oncoming Freshers. Here is what they have in store.

University of Bristol Darts Club

By Louie Fine, President and Third year BSc Business and Management

The University of Bristol Darts Club (UBDC) is a society for all players, from beginners to oche-regulars. Darts is a social sport with no gender or age boundaries, where accuracy and the ability to keep calm under pressure are the only things that matter. 

We host free practice and tournament nights on Thursdays at All Stars where equipment is available to borrow and drinks are discounted. The club have teams that compete against other universities in the University Darts UK South West division, with regular home and away fixtures throughout the year. This year we are hoping to establish a B team allowing more players to compete against other universities and are planning to attend several of UDUK’s singles tournaments held across the country. 

The highlight of the year is our varsity night which takes place in the spring and allows the year’s top players to play against a rival university on stage in front of an Ally Pally-like crowd. This event has hundreds of spectators every year and we host qualifiers to assemble our team. We have a free social membership for the Thursday night sessions and a competitive membership for those who want to play in our teams.

Bristol Darts Club | Instagram | Linktree
UOB’s Darts Society and Team 🎯

University of Bristol Dance Society

By Morgan Neville, Publicity Rep and MA History

Bristol Dance Society is beyond just a place to dance, it is a community. 

With 23 classes a week, ranging from street to ballet in all levels, and specialised workshops collaborating with other societies, there is something for everyone. Classes are a place to socialise, exercise, and build skills.

In second term, classes are also a time for students to learn pieces for our annual show in March. This is a time for our dancers to showcase their hard work, but for Dance Soc to give back to their community, where all proceeds go to two charities of the societies choice. 

As well as the show, regular fund raising activities and workshops ensure that Dance Soc is always working with the local community to contribute to charities. 

There are often performance opportunities throughout the year, including guest performances at other societies balls, however, if you fancy competing, we take 10 competitive sides to nationwide university dance competitions, including Sheffield and Manchester, where we not only win our categories, but win best team spirit! 

Whether you’re a seasoned competition dancer or a total beginner,  there’s something for you at Dance Soc and we would love to have you

Bristol Dance Soc🕺🏼💃🏻 | TikTok | Linktree
Linktree. Make your link do more.

University of Bristol Men's Hockey

By Oli Evans, President and fourth year BEng Aerospace Engineering

The University of Bristol Men’s Hockey Club is a welcoming, inclusive and open community for players of all skill levels. We field five teams that compete on Wednesdays and weekends, ranging from regional levels to a semi-professional standard. We take pride in our fun and inclusive atmosphere, with members representing all areas of the university.

Our 1st XI have recently won the England Hockey Conference West for the second time in three years meaning they will be playing in the second tier of England Hockey in the Division 1 South league. The 2nd XI followed suit by winning their league to earn promotion to West Prem. They both compete at high standards in BUCS as well.

Our lower teams, although successful on the pitch, prioritise the enjoyment of hockey over results. These squads are perfect for anyone who may have less experience playing hockey or who have not played for a while to build up their skills, fitness, and confidence through match play.

Overall, we are an open, successful and friendly society who welcome all members of any hockey standard.

Uni of Bristol Men’s Hockey | Twitter, Instagram | Linktree
Linktree. Make your link do more.

What societies are you keen on joining now?

Check out our part one if you missed it!!!