News2023

SU's Annual Member's Meeting: this year's motions

Thursday's (February 1) AMM will see students vote on seven new motions and the renewal of three current motions.

By Maud Humphries, News Digital Editor

This year's Annual Member's Meeting (AMM) will be held on Thursday 1st February in the Richmond Building, all students can vote and attend.

The AMM occurs every year as an opportunity to pass policy and hold SU officers to account. Motions which pass become active SU policies for 3 years.

All students can attend and vote on this year's motions, occurring in the Anson Rooms in the SU from 17:00-20:00

There are 7 motions for this year's meeting:

• Restructuring the annual student bus pass. This motion intends to align the academic year with student Bus Pass.
  • Campus Space Usage. This motion aims to increase the number of study spaces for students and extend the opening hours of these spaces.
  • Include 'Latino/a/x' as an option for data collection. This motion would allow for this option on surveys related to Student Ethnic Background.
  • Subsidized Dental Care Access for Students. This would occur through UOB Dental School to help students locate accessible dentist services.
  • SU Car Rental for Student Events. This motion aims to help students with logistics and travel for events through a car rental service.
  • Our Voices Matter: Initiating Systematic Measures to Promote Student Voter Registration. With 2 important elections in Bristol in 2024, and Bristol University students and staff making up 10% of Bristol's population, this motion intends to increase voter registration to make our voices heard.
  • Liberating the Structure. This motion proposes a representation review of the democratic structures for the students.

A motion lapse of 3 motions that passed in 2021 are up for renewal:

Harm Reduction Approach to Alcohol and Other Drugs. This motion would continue to provide expert advice and harm reduction resources are available for students.

• Championing a Culture of Consent at Bristol SU. This motion would continue to promote awareness and knowledge of consent by producing a document for society reps.
  • Supporting Sex Workers. This motion would continue to challenge the stigma around sex workers and ensure the appropriate support exists.

This year the SU is trying a new digital voting system using Slido to make participation easier.

If you have any motions to put forward then complete this form or any questions regarding the AMM email bristolsu-council@bristol.ac.uk.

Featured Image: Bristol SU

What do you think of this year's motions?