Read the Paper

Flick through our most recent issue!

Epigram is the University of Bristol’s independent student newspaper. First printed in 1989, Epigram alumni can be found working at major media publications including The Telegraph, The Sunday Times, NME and Sky News.

Made up of 15 sections, the newspaper is published fortnightly during term time to an estimated 12,500 students. Find the paper in all Halls of Residence, study spaces and university cafes.

The history of Epigram

There has long been a student newspaper presence at the University of Bristol. The Bristol Nonesuch was launched in 1911 (the name is now used for the University of Bristol’s alumni magazine) and it continued into the 1960s.

BACUS followed Nonesuch, but as it was denounced as NUS propaganda, the Union withdrew their funding in the late 1980s.

In its place, Epigram was set up. James Landale, now Diplomatic Editor at BBC news, was the first editor and the first issue was printed in 1989.

Epigram has changed a lot since 1989. Our logo has changed numerous times, the number of pages has increased from 8 to 48 and an online presence has developed.

More than 300 issues and various epi-puns later, next year we celebrate our 30th year.

Write for us

Being a writer requires as much commitment as you would like- you can write for one issue or every issue dependent on your other commitments.

The best way is to join our writers' groups on Facebook. This is where the section editors commission articles and also a place where you can pitch any ideas you had to them.

Each section has one, so feel free to join any that you would be interested in writing for:
Science and Tech
Film and TV

If you have any more questions, please contact