One man arrested during seventh ‘Kill the Bill’ protest in Bristol

One man has been arrested as part of the seventh protest in Bristol on Friday against the government’s proposed Police, Crime, Courts and Sentencing Bill.

By Joe Green, News Reporter

An estimated 150 people attended the demonstration, which began at 6pm at College Green, similar to previous protests.

Protestors then marched twice through the city centre, passing Bridewell Police Station and the Bearpit, with one man being arrested by officers and taken into a police van at approximately 7.50pm.

Around 50 protesters were then involved in a sit-down protest at St. Augustine’s Parade near the Hippodrome, before dispersing at 9.20pm.

Ahead of the march a police statement was issued saying they would ‘facilitate the protest’.

An Avon and Somerset Police spokesperson confirmed that one male has now been arrested ‘on suspicion of conspiracy to commit public nuisance’.

The first three protests against the Bill saw clashes between police and protesters, whilst the more recent protests have passed with less incidents and arrests.

Fifth ‘Kill the Bill’ protest takes place in Bristol as part of national day of action
Third ‘Kill the Bill’ protest ends with large police show of force and injured protesters

Friday’s protest took place as a precursor to a second ‘National Day of Action’ next Saturday, which is expected to be a nationwide protest against the proposed law changes.

The protests have been taking place in opposition to government proposals to make changes to the right to protest, which would give authorities the power to restrict any protest deemed to cause a ‘serious annoyance’.

The Bill would also criminalise trespass, which protestors say would effectively criminalise many Gypsy, Roma and Traveller communities’ way of life.

Featured Image: Guy Peterson

Did you attend yesterday’s demonstration in Bristol?