Match Report: Bristol Men’s Rugby 1’s start the season with defeat, but plenty of positives.

A tough battle for Men's Rugby against Brunel University ends in narrow defeat but optimism remains high early in the BUCS campaign.

By Sean Lawrenson, Sports Deputy Editor

The first game of the Men’s rugby first team was a tough battle with the well-respected Brunel University. Whilst the away team ended up getting the better of Bristol in the end, the way the lads fought till the end will bring with it much optimism for the next year.

I should start this report by saying that I had never watched a rugby match at Bristol before last Wednesday, and the pre-match ritual itself took me by surprise. With the other members of the society lining up in a tunnel at the entrance to the pitch, a dead-stare was given to each Brunel player as they walked through the cacophony of sound. In contrast, when the Bristol players ran onto the field, the noise was akin to a roar.

Whilst the pre-match ritual certainly impressed, the beginning of the game would have done little to inspire confidence. Less than a minute gone, a kick over the top from Brunel was latched onto for what was eventually the easiest of tries. After missing the conversion, the boys were down five nothing within two minutes of starting, but were not shaken in the slightest.

The first ten minutes saw a mammoth amount of pressure applied by Bristol. One key moment came following a lineout, in which a Bristol player kicked the ball past the Brunel backline, and one of his teammates were obstructed from getting to the ball. There were screams of ‘off ref’ and ‘penalty try’ on the touchline, but in truth the ball had travelled far too quickly to ever be reached by a Bristol player.

Once balance resumed in the game, the Brunel attackers struggled to add to their lead, all due to the resilience of the Bristol players were defending on the tryline. Bristol’s 13 in particular was strong in his tackling, causing a few exclamations on both sides of the pitch

Then, on the 25th minute, the breakthrough for Bristol finally came. After a lovely passing move between players in the build-up, the ball was eventually forced over on the left-hand side of the pitch by Bristol’s no.1, with the kick also being converted. The Bristol lads were leading. The first minute collapse forgotten.

Five minutes later, Bristol were adding more points to the tally, a kick through once again blocked by a Brunel player led to a penalty which was sharply kicked over the posts by our no.9, who seemed at ease with his conversions all evening. Bristol were the ones rattling Brunel now, which was signified by the Brunel player kicking the ball straight out of play from the kick-off, leading to a scrum on the halfway line.

Yet, Brunel did manage to fight back. Within the next ten minutes they scored two tries to leave the halftime score reading (an unfair example of Bristol’s fight) 10-19 to the visitors. I always think at moments like this, just what is it that happens in the dressing room. After having fought so well, to be so far behind, it leaves you with a feeling of abject horror at what might happen in the second. That being said, I’m not a rugby player, and judging by the beginning of the second half, not a psychic either.

Within one minute (yes, the irony) of the second half having kicked off, Bristol were back in it. A kick over the top was promptly swatted out of bounds by a Brunel player, with a host of players waiting to pounce on the ball. Penalty try given. Cheers of encouragement rang through the crowd.

The second half itself was a much more cagey affair. Penalties flowed to both sides, however the game really lit up with sixteen minutes to go. Following a few penalties, Bristol were leading 23-19. The atmosphere at this point was fantastic, a flurry of songs from the rugby points echoed through the chilly evening air. It was a party, until it wasn’t.

A mistake by a Brunel player. A tussle, and then what looked like an elbow. The lads on the side line jumped up in ferocious anger, screaming ‘red’ and ‘send him off!’, but the ref, having not seen the incident, issued a warning and that was that. Four minutes later and the worst came to. A Brunel move on the right wing led to an easy try. There was silence on the touchlines, and I’m not sure those watching on knew quite what to do. Kick converted.

In truth, there are a lot of positives this Bristol team can take from this one. After having not started in the best way, to then bounce back and lead will give them a great confidence boost going forward. The opener here promises a season of exciting tussles, hard-hitting tackles, and an even greater atmosphere.

Final Score: Bristol 23 – Brunel 26

Featured images: Sean Lawrenson