Lone travel after lockdown

Mia Musa Green reminisces on solo adventures of the past and the perks of travelling alone

By Mia Musa Green, 2nd Year Psychology Student

The Croft Magazine // With upcoming trips to India and Italy cancelled, Mia has been reminiscing about holidays of past – including her first solo trip abroad.

With school stress behind her, she scoured the internet for the cheapest flights to take her anywhere out of the UK, settling on a five-day trip to Girona, Spain. Here’s what she learnt on why she’ll be flying solo as soon as it is safe to!

Although short, my holiday helped me feel more confident.

Not only was the trip solo, but I did all of the planning, hostel searching and flights on my own, too. I was responsible for making sure I got on the right buses, managed money and that I was generally okay! Although this may seem daunting, I am grateful for the lessons I learned, including how to communicate with locals despite not speaking the language.

A trip solo lets you find out what you want from a holiday.

Although trips with friends are super fun, we all know the pressures of trying to find one activity that suits everyone. Whether you are a party-goer, foodie or enjoy a simply trip to the beach, travelling solo will allow you to do what you want without any of the pressure. Personally, I really enjoyed immersing myself in Spanish culture, finding hidden vegan delicacies and exploring museums. My personal favourite was the Museum of Jewish History and the Museu del Cinema, which is now available as an online exhibition!

Keep in mind that solo travel is not always as easy as it seems.

On the second day of my trip, I remember sitting in my hostel, regretting my bold decision to travel alone. I felt homesick, I missed my friends and didn’t know what lay ahead of me - but this is totally normal! I soon realised that it was the idea of travelling “alone” that made the reality of it feel scary. I was taking the trip to learn more about different cultures, and that included meeting other travellers. Once I got to chatting with people in my dorm, we went out for drinks and soon I started to feel much better. What solo travellers sometimes fail to mention is that it is crucial to tailor your trip to your needs: travelling alone does not translate to being alone. If you do prefer spending time alone, though, an Air Bnb might be a better option than a hostel.

To anyone reading, I implore you to take that solo-trip as soon as it is safe to go! For now, why not warm up by having a solo-picnic in your local park or start planning where you want to travel to next when lockdown lifts? There’s a whole new world to see.

Featured image: Mia Musa Green

Find The Croft Magazine inside every issue of Epigram Newspaper