Live Review/ Van Morrison @ St David's Hall

The Celtic soul legend Sir Van Morrison brought his 40-studio album discography to St David Hall in Cardiff for a seated performance. The genre blending artist features both in the Rock and Roll and Songwriter halls of fame and has been knighted for his contributions to the music industry.

By Joe Boyd, Digital Music Editor

Before making it to my seat I had already been reminded several times that no photography or videography was allowed throughout the performance. Maybe this was advised to everyone in attendance, or maybe it was a result of being the youngest there by a solid 30 years.

With a surprisingly early start leaving me to narrowly avoid missing the band mosey on to the stage followed shortly after by Van the Man himself to kick us off with A Shot of Rhythm and Blues which featured on his 28th Studio album You Win Again.

Seamus Heaney HomePlace 🎤🎶🖋 📸 by Bradley Quinn

A post shared by Van Morrison (@vanmorrisonofficial) on

With the entire band dressed in all black and Van donning his signature trilby and sunglasses combo, the stage somewhat resembled a funeral in a primary school music classroom. Featuring a catalogue of instruments from the typical piano, bass, drums and guitar to the more niche items including a pair of djembes’ and a cabasa.

Van made full use of these instruments made most notable in his rendition of Celtic Excavation / Into the Mystic, which saw The Belfast Cowboy leave the mic stand three time to grasp a different instrument, starting with saxophone and ending with guitar.

With his latest project Three Chords and The Truth due any day now, it was unsurprising to see a few tracks feature on the set list. Nobody in Charge addresses the current state of the UK seemingly referencing the reduction to the police force and the control the media has on political discourse in his signature style.

While the setlist neglected Astral Weeks completely it did make a nod towards Moondance by playing the title track with an additional verse from Miles Davis track So What. This was a clear crowd pleaser, which came as no surprise being the album that established his critical acclaim in 1970.

From start to finish the performance sprinkled covers from the likes of Joe Williams’ Washboard Blues Singers, Bo Diddley, Lester Young, and John Lee Hooker, before finishing on a rendition of Sonny Boy Williamson’s Help Me. Which saw Van walk off stage while the band continued to play out the song.

It was long before Van re-entered the stage to play his signature track Brown Eyed Girl which had clearly been what a many people had come to see with cheers at the opening notes. This was followed by Gloria a garage rock classic from his early 60's band Them. With the gig ending for real this time, Van left the stage to a standing ovation.

REX Shutterstock / Roger Goodgroves

Van has never had a reputation for his stage presence and it quickly became apparent why, it is hard to gauge someone’s personality when you can count the number of words directed at the audience on your fingers. Despite this and the snub to Astral Weeks, Van the Man is still able to capitative a sold-out crowd with record sounding vocals and supporting cast. I would jump at the opportunity to see him again.