Epigram Music's March gig roundup

Josh is back with his monthly rundown of all the gigs you should be heading to this month.

Photo by Mikey Harris / Unsplash

By Josh Templeman, Co-Deputy Music Editor

After a slow start to the year, we’re back giving you our picks for the best gigs happening in Bristol this March and oh my lord what selection. With one of the most stacked months for gigs we’ve ever seen, these are the shows you cannot miss out on this month.

Souls of Mischief – March 1st – Marble Factory

Souls of Mischief are a group that needs no introduction. With comparisons to some of hip-hop’s all-time greats, like De La Soul and A Tribe Called Quest, the group hit the road for the anniversary of their 1993 album ’93 Til Infinity’. Head down to Marble Factory for a spectacle of underground hip-hop and join the group as they chill from 93 ‘til.

Gentleman’s Dub Club & The Skints – March 3rd – Marble Factory

Gentleman’s Dub Club have forged a reputation that sees them sit at the upper echelons of the UK Dub scene. The 9-piece Leeds-based band have consolidated a heavyweight sound, that doesn’t hold back in the energy it delivers whilst live. They arrive in Bristol this month alongside legendary reggae-punk band, The Skints.

Credit: ChuffMedia

Isaiah Rashad – March 5th – SWX

Top Dawg Entertainment’s very own Isaiah Rashad touches down at Bristol’s SWX this month in what promises to be an electric evening of soulful hip-hop. With woozy beats and conscious lyricism, this is the first time the rapper has played in the UK following the release of his acclaimed 2021 project, The House is Burning.

ELIZA – March 5th – Trinity Centre

ELIZA has long been one of the UK’s most exciting R&B artists. Signed at just age 17, the London-born artist went platinum with her debut album back in 2010 and her trajectory has only been upward ever since then. Head down to Bristol’s iconic Trinity Centre this month or miss out.

Olivia Dean – March 7th – Trinity Centre

Inspired by music legends such as Lauryn Hill and Amy Winehouse, Olivia Dean has been making some serious waves. Named as Amazon Music’s 2021 breakthrough artist, her work has quickly earnt her a stellar reputation, with deeply personal lyricism and mellow instrumentals central to her sound.

Slowthai – March 8th – Marble Factory

Brash, abrasive and always braggadocious, Slowthai has been one of the most exciting artists coming from the UK in recent years. Having always flirted with a more punk-based sound, ‘Doorman’ being one of the perfect examples of this, it appears his latest album (to be released March 3rd) is going exactly in this direction. Bring your earplugs and prepare yourself for a show that’ll be packed-full of rowdiness – this isn’t for the faint-hearted.

Coby Sey – March 10th – Strange Brew

A producer, multi-instrumentalist, DJ and vocalist, there are few things that Coby Sey can’t do. Arriving in Bristol on March 10th, Sey will be performing songs from his acclaimed 2022 debut project, Conduit.

Self Esteem – March 12th – Marble Factory

Through Self Esteem, Rebecca Taylor has ditched her indie-band roots to become one of pop’s most exciting and celebrated artists. Her 2021 effort, Prioritise Pleasure, was one of the most praised albums of the year, topping the album of the year lists of many publications worldwide. She takes to Bristol’s Marble Factory this month.

Loyle Carner – March 12th – O2 Academy Bristol

Loyle Carner’s 2022 project, hugo, saw the rapper delve deeper into politics and his own lived experiences than ever before. Ditching the dreamy, often jazz-based sounds of his previous efforts, Carner has entered a new sonic domain with his new material to widespread acclaim. We’ll be there and we hope you’ll be there too.

Credit: ChuffMedia

Joesef – March 14th – Trinity Centre

With deeply introspective lyrics, ethereal vocals and mellow instrumentals, Joesef should be on your radar if he isn’t already. Off of the back of his debut album released in January this year, Permanent Damage, the Scottish Soul-pop artist has quickly become one of the UK’s most distinctive vocalists.

Jeshi – March 16th – Exchange

Jeshi is an artist that has been taking the UK hip-hop scene by storm. Deeply political, with scathing social commentaries and introspective storytelling, Jeshi aims to spread the message of the ills of austerity and the struggles of the working class through his lyricism. Hip-hop heads shouldn’t miss out on this one.

The Pharcyde – March 16th – O2 Academy Bristol

I cannot believe The Pharcyde are coming to Bristol. When it comes to describing the hip-hop collective, who came to stardom back in the 90s, the word ‘legendary’ is genuinely an understatement. Their 1992 effort, Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde, is regularly lauded as one of the genre’s greatest ever, with the follow-up, Labcabincalifornia, receiving similar praise. This is a big one.

BERWYN – March 20th – Thekla

It’s been a whirlwind of a year for Berwyn. The Trinidad and Tobago-born artist lives and breathes music and claims he’s only not making new tunes when he’s asleep. This passion has undoubtedly paid off, with Mercury Prize nominations and widespread praise. Lovers of R&B and neo-soul should have BERWYN on their radar if he isn’t already.

BIIG PIIG – March 21st – Thekla

Also heading down to Bristol’s iconic Thekla this month is BIIG PIIG. The Irish-born singer and rapper has quickly become one of pop’s most electric artists, always aiming for experimentalism and to push the boundaries of the genre.

Alex G – March 22nd – SWX

Alex G’s God Save the Animals, was one of last year’s most celebrated projects and with good reason. Influenced by the great Elliott Smith, he has developed a distinct indie-folk sound with a lo-fi twist over the years, that has seen the American artist gather a passionate fanbase. He plays at Bristol’s SWX later this month.

Credit: Chris Maggio

Channel Tres – March 23rd – Thekla

Following the release of his latest EP in February, Real Cultural Sh*t, Channel Tres brings his exciting show to Bristol’s Thekla. With a unique electronic sound, inspired by West Coast hip-hop, the LA-based singer, rapper and producer has been expertly carving out his own lane which is best described as silky and smooth.

Black Honey – March 29th – Thekla

Formed in Brighton nearly ten years ago, Black Honey is a four-piece indie-rock band led by vocalist Izzy Baxter, who is often compared to Lana Del Rey. Following the release of their EP, OK, earlier this February, they head down to Thekla this month in what will undoubtedly be a heavyweight show.

Featured image: Mikey Harris, Unsplash

What gigs are you heading to this month?