Bristol SU turns 100

In its hundred-year-history, the SU has changed location many times but its support for students has been consistent.

Credit: Union sit-in, 1968. Copyright Tony Byers. Image courtesy of University of Bristol, Special Collections (DM2269/2)

By Sofia Lambis, News Investigations Editor

Today (25 October) the University of Bristol Students’ Union celebrates its one-hundredth birthday.  

A founding member of the National Union of Students (NUS) the SU has a long history of supporting students in Bristol. 

In 1924 the University Guild joined with the University Club to form the Students’ Union we all know today. Over the years it’s moved from the Victoria Rooms to the Richmond Building, growing into a multi-site organisation that students can access across campus. 

‘Over the past hundred years, the Students’ Union has made a significant impact on the lives of countless students, and I’m incredibly proud to be part of that legacy’ said Union Affairs Officer Katie Poyner.

‘We’re proud to support over 900 student reps and 350+ societies, all working to make your Bristol experience the best it can be. None of it would have been possible without the dedication of our students, staff, and other supporters. I’m sure for everyone who's been at Bristol over the last 100 years, some of their best memories were from societies in the Students’ Union!’

The Anson Rooms opened up for gigs in 1965 and in 1987 the first Bristol Students’ Half Marathon was set up by the SU President. In 2009 Bristol SU was officially granted charitable status, allowing them to be fully independent and provide impartial support and advice to students. The SU Living Room opened its doors in 2018 and last academic year the SU moved its offices to the fifth floor of Senate House.

‘My biggest takeaway was six fantastic friends, with whom I'm still in close touch today. We've been to each other's weddings, marked life's ups and downs, and always have plenty of stories that are hilarious and embarrassing in equal measure. Seven people studying different courses from very different backgrounds, who would never have met if it wasn't for UBU - I'll always be very grateful’ said Ben Wilson the Vice-President (Welfare) from 2000-2001.

Credit: EGM opposing government curbs on student grants, 1968. Copyright Tony Byers. Image courtesy of University of Bristol, Special Collections (DM2269/2)

The last century has seen the SU make some remarkable memories. In 1977 students occupied Senate House in protest as tuition fees were set to rise. They gained support from MPs, and seventeen students were officially reprimanded. Less than twenty years later, students across the south west staged a funeral procession for ‘the death of higher education’ due to the ending of free tuition. 

‘As a member of the feminist society I was involved in campaigning for a University nursery. Difficult to imagine nowadays that universities didn't host them. Childcare provision for staff and students is now a common offering. Difficult also to imagine - from a now older, more sedate perspective - that I climbed in through a side window at Senate House as a part of the student occupation to 'demand' a nursery. As it transpired, later, my son enjoyed the well-run facilities for which so many of us had campaigned’ said Liz Wells, a Student from 1974-1977.

The SU will be kicking off celebrations with free cake in the SU living room on Tuesday 29th of October.