Double win for University at Advance HE Awards celebrating teaching excellence

On the 5 August, staff at the University received one individual award and one departmental award for its teaching and learning.

By Olivia Beatson, Digital News Editor

Advance HE has awarded Lucy Berthoud, Professor of Aerospace Engineering, with a National Teaching Fellow for her outstanding impact on student outcomes and the teaching profession.

Professor Berthoud is the leader of the University’s Satellite programme which gives students a chance to build and launch their own spacecraft.

An award-winning educator and TEDx speaker, she is described by her students as ‘a fantastic lecturer’, ‘really enthusiastic and engaging’, and ‘motivated and motivating’.

In order to support students in their design and operation of the satellite, she and a colleague have established a new satellite laboratory and ground station at the University.

The facility is unique in the South West and has helped many of her students to gain positions in the highly competitive space industry.

Upon being named a National Teaching Fellow, Professor Berthoud said: 'I feel privileged to have the opportunity to inspire and teach students and I am thrilled to receive this award.'

Meanwhile, the Centre for Innovation and Entrepreneurship was awarded the Collaborative Award for Teaching Excellence (CATE). This accolade celebrates collaboration and the demonstrable impact the centre has on teaching and learning.

The Centre is educating the next generation of innovators and entrepreneurs, helping them develop adaptability, trans-disciplinary and innovative thinking to make positive differences in an ever-changing world.

This is achieved through an innovative team of academics and industry professionals, who passionately engage with students as co-creators.

The team of 19 staff members includes those who have designed new products and services for BBC, HP, Environments Agency, Unilever and Marriott amongst others.

Staff bring their experiences and expertise to the learning environment, designing a relevant curriculum that enhances employability and provides the students with cutting-edge, engaging and relevant case studies.

Professor Kirsten Cater, Academic Director of the Centre said: 'We are so proud to have received this Advance HE CATE award, which highlights the fantastic collaborative work within the team in the Centre for Innovation and Entrepreneurship at the University of Bristol.

'Successful collaboration across so many disciplines, backgrounds and partners, both internal and external, has been critical for the Centre’s multi-award-winning success and positive impact.'

Winners will receive their awards at a special ceremony on 16 October in Manchester.

Featured image: Twitter / Bristol University

Can you think of more members of staff who deserve national recognition?