Bristol SU announce Welcome 2021

Bristol SU are set to launch the official programme for Welcome 2021 on 10 August, with most events expected to be held in person.

By Alice Clarke, SU Correspondent

Bristol SU are to launch the official programme for Welcome Week 2021 on Tuesday 10 August, A-Level Results Day.

Subject to COVID-19 restrictions, the SU have announced that most events will be held in person throughout the weeks starting 20th and 27th of September.

Whilst last year’s Welcome Week was held virtually, the SU are hoping that this year’s programme of events will provide a much missed in-person welcome to the university.

Welcome events will be taking place across campus including at the newly extended Bristol SU Living Room. The Anson Garden will also be converted into a Beer Garden for Welcome 2021, hosting events such as DJ sets and pub quizzes

It is expected that on the 24-25 September the Welcome Fair will be held in person on the Downs. This will be confirmed later in the summer.

The Fair will give students the opportunity to find out about a variety of opportunities to get involved with over the next year. A range of student societies, SU support services and business will fill the marquees. As usual, students will be able to grab freebies and sign their name up to as many stalls as they wish.

Give it a Go sessions will also be run throughout Welcome Week and into the first term.  The programme for these taster sessions will go live in September.

Freshers' Fair | Bristol SU

As with previous years, the SU will work with partner clubs across Bristol to run events for students. The SU hope this will ‘provide an opportunity for second years who missed out on their Freshers’ experience and provide opportunities for new and returning students to enjoy Bristol’s nightlife as part of Welcome’.

However, departing from tradition, physical freshers wristbands will be replaced with digital passes to the club night events. This pass will be available to students in halls and will cover the opening and closing nights of Freshers' Week.

Students will also have the option to buy tickets individually and choose their nights out. Both the pass and individual tickets will be available to buy on August 10th from the Bristol SU website.

Speaking on the events ahead, Ifrah Farooq, Union Affairs Officer said:

‘We know that many students feel like they missed out on their Freshers experience last year so we’re working hard to make sure that everyone has an opportunity to get involved this year.

‘I’m personally looking forward to a two-day Welcome Fair for the first time. Welcome is all about building connections and finding your community – which is so much easier in-person.’

Sport and Student Development Officer, Obafemi Alabi, stated:

‘I am really excited that Welcome is going to be in person again! Our student groups will be back front and centre with the Welcome Fair and Give it a Go activities and there will be plenty of opportunities for everyone, not just first years, to try something new and meet people.’

A spokesperson for Bristol SU has urged students to look out for official SU events in the run up to Welcome 2021, stating:

‘All events which are part of the official Bristol SU Welcome will use the word ‘official’, be hosted by Bristol SU and carry the Bristol SU logo. Event tickets for the official programme will only be available on the Bristol SU website.

‘There are a number of unofficial Bristol Freshers programmes run by promoters which are already live and selling tickets. We encourage students to exercise caution when considering external events.’

Students can sign up to receive the latest updates about Welcome 20121 in their inbox and receive an alert when tickets are live via bristolsu.org.uk/welcome2021

Featured Image: Bristol SU

Are you excited for Welcome 2021?