Unite Students announces a further rent reduction for March 2021

Unite Students has announced a three week 50 per cent rent reduction for students who have not been able to live in residences during lockdown.

By Megan Evans, News Subeditor

Private student accommodation company Unite Students has announced a three week 50 per cent rent reduction for students who have not been able to live in residences during lockdown.

Unite Students announced yesterday that eligible students would receive a reduction for half of their rent during the period 8-28 March.

This will be the third rent reduction period of 2021 for Unite tenants, with 50 per cent reductions being granted from 18 January to 14 February, and 15 February to 7 March. This will therefore total 10 weeks of rent reductions for eligible students.

Unite Students own and manage a number of University of Bristol halls, including Unite House, Orchard Heights, Brunel House, and Riverside.

The decision was made following the announcement of the government’s roadmap out of lockdown, which stated that the stay-at-home rule will end on 29 March.

The Unite Group states that ‘subject to no further major changes in Government guidelines, it is anticipated that this will be Unite Students’ last rent discount relating to COVID-19.’

Students will be contacted directly in the next week if eligible for the reduction, and do not need to take any action to apply.

Students will receive their discount in the form of a cash refund upon checking out of their accommodation at the end of their tenancy.

Unite Students state that they have provided rent rebates ‘in excess of £100million throughout the pandemic,’ with the average student receiving approximately £1,300 in rental discounts in 2021.

Unite Students announce 50 per cent rent reduction for residents
‘A monstrous carbuncle’: University library plans rejected by councillors against official advice

In a statement, Richard Smith, Chief Executive of Unite Students, said: ‘Since the outbreak of COVID-19, we have strived to play our part and do the right thing for our students in a fair and proportionate way.

‘[…] we acknowledge students have faced challenges this year and that’s why we have supported them consistently through the pandemic. We remain committed to ensuring that students can continue to experience the real life-long benefits of university life.’

A survey carried out by the Unite Students group found that 86 per cent of students are keen to return to their university campus once it is safe to do so.

Featured: Epigram/ Patrick Sullivan

Are you in Unite owned halls of residence in Bristol? Let us know!