11 Bristol Uni subjects rank in world top 50 in QS World University Rankings

The University of Bristol has 11 subjects placed in the global top 50 in the latest QS World University Rankings by Subject for 2021.

By Sophie Downes, News Reporter

Published on 3 March, the global survey has shown that 40 courses offered at the University of Bristol are ‘among the very best in the world.’

The QS World University Rankings by Subject reveal that out of the 1,440 universities surveyed world-wide across 51 subjects in five broad subject areas, 32 subjects at Bristol Uni are in the top 100, while 11 made the top 50.

Veterinary Science at Bristol was rated 13th world-wide whilst other subjects at the University such as Geology, Geophysics, Earth & Marine Sciences and Social Policy & Administration all featured in the top 50.

The QS World University Rankings by Subject uses four criteria to assess each University’s standing: a survey of academics, a survey of employers, research impact by number of citations, and the ‘H-index’, which measures the productivity of published work by academics.

Commenting on the University’s placement in the global rankings Professor Hugh Brady, Vice-Chancellor of the University of Bristol, said: ‘It is hugely rewarding that many of our courses have once again been named among the best in the world.

‘After what has been a difficult year for many, every single University of Bristol professor, academic and student should be proud of this fantastic achievement.

‘Without their hard-work, creative drive and boundless intelligence we would not be where we are today.’

‘Fundamentally, dyslexia made me who I am today:’ Student who could not read until aged 13 graduates from Bristol Uni with first class honours
Parliamentarians write to Bristol University calling for action on Antisemitism

Bristol Uni’s performance in the newly published survey follows the University of Bristol’s successful ranking in QS World Rankings last June, when it placed as ninth best University in the United Kingdom, the 14th best in Europe and the 58th best in the world.

Featured image: Epigram / Cameron Scheijde

What do you think of Bristol University's performance in the QS World Uni Rankings by Subject? Let us know!