Arts and Social Sciences Library closes due to ‘bad smell’

The Arts and Social Sciences Library has been closed this morning after fumes from essential building work on the roof were sucked into the ventilation system.

By Eve Bentley-Hussey, Deputy News Editor

Library bookings have been cancelled for the next few hours due to the disruption.

Library services emailed students to notify them of the closure of the Arts and Social Sciences Library due to an 'unpleasant smell' from construction work.

All bookings until 11am were cancelled but the library services are still unsure when the working environment will improve.

Students were notified of the Library's closure by email.

The library assured students the closure is short-term and apologised for the inconvenience.

On their website, they promise they are working to open as quickly as possible and if students had a desk booked this morning their booking will be cancelled and the study time will not be deducted from their weekly allowance.

Construction work has been blamed for making the library an unsuitable work environment.

A representative from the library services said: ‘The fumes are now clearing, but the smell is still too strong to permit students to work in the building. We are working to open the library as quickly as we can and anticipate that we'll re-open at 1 o'clock.’

Featured Image: Epigram / Siavash Minoukadeh

Were you impacted by the library's closure this morning?