‘Stay safe, follow the rules and be respectful’ – Bristol Universities release joint message to students

In a message to students of both Bristol universities, Vice-Chancellors Hugh Brady and Steve West have outlined the expectations of student behaviour when returning to Bristol for the start of term.

By Megan Evans,  News Subeditor

The statement from Professor Hugh Brady of the University of Bristol and Professor Steve West of UWE Bristol emphasises the importance of following government guidelines with their key message: ‘Stay safe, follow the rules and be respectful.’

Highlighting the two Universities’ commitment to the Bristol community, the statement says: ‘We recognise and understand the concerns our community will have about the return of students over the next few weeks. To help with this, a huge amount of planning has gone into ensuring their return to Bristol is as Covid-secure as possible and that they can have a great experience in our city without putting themselves, or others, at risk.

‘Both universities have introduced a comprehensive range of measures to minimise the potential transmission of the virus. For example, to avoid mass gatherings, we are offering a blended approach to education which comprises both online and small group in-person teaching. Large-scale lectures will not take place and our physical estates have been reconfigured to allow for maximum social distancing.

‘New student arrivals will be staggered over several weeks. Staff and students will be given face coverings for use on campus and we have robust systems in place to identify cases of COVID-19 as early as possible, support affected individuals, and minimise any risk of further infection.’

The message also points out that most Freshers’ events will be held online, with ‘a mix of high-quality online and in-person events that comply with all government guidelines.’

‘This will not be a normal academic year’

In a word of caution to students against breaking Covid guidelines, they have affirmed that ‘large gatherings and house parties are not permitted in university halls or private rented accommodation. While some individual students may be tempted to join such gatherings, we are clear this behaviour is unacceptable.’

The universities ‘have worked closely with Bristol City Council and Avon and Somerset Police to agree a joint approach to COVID-19 rule enforcement,’ the statement adds, saying ‘both universities are committed to taking swift disciplinary action against any student found to be in breach of the rules. Such violations may also be a criminal offence and will be dealt with appropriately.’

Amongst these warnings to students, however, are acknowledgements of ‘the overwhelming majority of students’ who do comply with the government’s public health guidance and the great deal of contributions made by both universities throughout the pandemic.

Masks and visors now required for all in-person teaching at Bristol after rise in R rate
Bristol students to be limited to 10 hours of library space per week under new system

‘From world-leading medical research into testing and vaccine development, to policy research around domestic violence and public health guidance – our universities have focused their collective expertise and state-of-the-art facilities to help Bristol address the challenges posed by coronavirus and, ultimately, save lives,’ it reads.

The statement details the contributions made by students and staff in joining the NHS, manufacturing PPE and hand sanitizer for front-line services, as well as supporting foodbanks.

The universities request ‘unacceptable student behaviour’ to be reported to their respective community teams. Although lack of socialising for students means ‘this will not be a normal academic year,’ the universities are ‘confident that the vast majority of students will continue to do the right thing.’

Featured Image: Epigram / Lucy O’Neill

What do you make of the Vice Chancellor’s statement?