Upcoming gig: Fulu Miziki Kolektiv @ Stange Brew, Friday 12th August

Afrofuturistic Congolese music group, Fulu Miziki Kolektiv arrive in Bristol with a set at Strange Brew on the 12th of August as part of their highly anticipated UK tour.

By Oscar Ross, Music Editor

Performing with infectious rhythm and unmatched energy, the Kolektiv explore more electric sounds in their new project Lualaba, released earlier this year. The Covid pandemic deprived the group of the outdoor access they had previously used for their creative endeavours, pushing them towards a more computer-based sound. Together with sibling group, Fulu Miziki, Lualaba displays a development of the Kolektiv’s raw, organic sound with the utilisation of more computer-based sounds, reinforcing the feverish dance quality to their music.

Credit: Music Net

Ideas of earth, nature and conservation lie at the core of the group’s music, exclusively using a wide range of upcycled instruments and costumes constructed by the musicians themselves. Dedicated to the craft of upcycling their own instruments, the band have been forced to construct new instruments at a moment’s notice while on tour in Europe due to issues of lost or oversized baggage. This focus on an environmentally friendly performance stems from the Kolektiv’s desire to address global society’s wasteful throwaway culture and its significant impact on pollution levels across Africa.

Credit: Root Music

After dealing with long visa delays in order to come to the UK for their tour, Fulu Miziki Kolektiv are an act not to miss this August. So, next Friday get yourself to Strange Brew to shout, dance and join the renewable sounds of the Kolektiv.

Get your tickets here using Headfirst, Bristol’s own non-profit ticketing app for independent artists.

Featured image: Root Music

Will you be going to the gig?