Further strikes planned by UCU before Easter

Following the recent ten days of strike action, staff at the University of Bristol will once again go on strike starting on Monday 28 March and continuing until Friday 1 April.

By Bibiana Lebersorger, News Reporter

Following the recent ten days of strike action, staff at the University of Bristol will once again go on strike starting on Monday 28 March and continuing until Friday 1 April, unless vice chancellors revoke pension cuts and meet staff demands over pay and working conditions.

Staff at the University of Bristol are among those at 68 universities nationwide that plan to engage in strike action.

Further action has been called because the negotiations between staff and university employers failed to yield any meaningful outcomes.

Day one of the first UCU strikes of 2022
Group of 12 students occupy Wills Memorial Building in solidarity with UCU strikes

The dispute once again centres on the Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS), with the UCU (University and College Union) arguing that university employers are slashing a typical member's guaranteed pension income by 35 per cent. UCU members at Bristol are also striking over pay and working conditions.

University staff will continue to take action short of strike (ASOS), which means staff will continue to work strictly to contracted hours, and will not undertake any more work than required, such as covering for absent colleagues.

Jo Grady, the UCU general secretary, said: ‘Vice chancellors could easily end this dispute and prevent further disruption in our universities, but they would rather attack the pensions, pay and working conditions of their own staff and damage the sector at the same time.’

The University is yet to make an official statement to students.

Featured Image: Bibiana Lebersorger

Do you support further strike action?