A guide to Europe's best Christmas markets

The Croft Magazine // The tastes and smells of the region's top markets are just a stone's throw away.

By Epigram Travel

Vienna and Salzburg

Perched in the Alps, Salzburg is surely the capital of winter. Down below, Vienna is a capital that once commanded a vast empire, and now rules a country the size of Clifton. Its elegant coffeehouses are a cosy cocoon, and its vast market on the steps of the city hall are a centre in the ocean of palaces. Be aware that Austria’s new coronavirus lockdown may affect your plans.

Edinburgh

Princes Street Gardens are filled by a lit wheel and a multitude of food stalls, with the smell of roast chestnuts filling surrounding streets. With the southern approved chief market (Bath) cancelled due to staff shortages, Edinburgh is your only proper option in the UK this year.

Strasbourg and Basel

The European capital holds Christkindelsmärik – one of the world’s most famous, and oldest, Christmas markets – hosting over two million people arriving by TGV to spend a total of €16m. Nearby, on the tripoint, Basel holds one of Switzerland’s largest markets.

Dresden

The home of Stollen cake, this city houses a market full of the stuff. Stollen was first baked for the Council of Trent in 1545, but documents show it was made here as far back as 1474. The official Stollen can only be baked by 110 local bakers, distinguished by a seal depicting King Augustus II the Strong.