By Tshokey Mindara, Third Year, History
The Croft Magazine// Having never tackled a whole chicken from scratch, I was surprised to learn that it is actually the easiest component of a roast dinner. I love this recipe in particular because it incorporates my favourite Christmas drink; mulled wine. It’s a super simple recipe that can be altered to suit whatever season you are cooking for.
· 1 whole chicken
· 1-2 oranges quartered
· Fresh herbs of your choice; I use Sage, parsley and thyme
· 1 bulb of garlic
· 1 tbsp of butter
· Seasoning: Salt, Pepper, Dry Rosemary
· A dollop of Mulled wine
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees
- Prepare the stuffing; chop the oranges into quarters, the herbs and garlic can go in as is
- Stuff the chicken with a quarter of the oranges, herbs and garlic then repeat the process until the chicken is fully stuffed
- Massage the butter onto the chicken and season to your liking with salt, pepper and dry rosemary.
- Pour a generous dollop of mulled wine over the chicken; about a quarter of the roasting tin. (This step can be taken out if non-alcoholic or replaced with red wine)
- Put it in the oven for 1 hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours until it is all cooked through
Featured Image: Tshokey Mindara/Epigram
Would you try this roast chicken recipe?