University of Bristol bans indoor team sport with immediate effect

Indoor team sport has been prohibited at the University of Bristol following a review of the Government statement made on Tuesday this week

By Georgiana Scott, Deputy Editor

Indoor team sport has been prohibited at the University of Bristol following a review of the Government statement made on Tuesday this week.

In a letter to all university club captains, Matt Birch, Director of Sport, Exercise and Health said the University 'will not be able to facilitate indoor team-based sports for adults within our Indoor Centres with immediate effect.'

However, non-team sports such as gym sessions, tennis, and swimming will be able to continue as long as students 'adhere to the National Governing Bodies guidance and follow submitted risk assessment and session plans.'

It added that these permitted sports must not exceed 6 people per court and there must be 'no participant engagement outside of a court "bubble" before or after the session.'

The full letter sent to Bristol University club captains 

Also affected by the new guidelines are 'Give it a go!' sessions, which are put on by sports clubs to encourage new members, and some B-Active campus activities.

Birch confirmed that team-based sports clubs will be contacted over the next two days to discuss possible alternative solutions such as moving activities to Coombe Dingle Sports Complex, the University's outdoor sports centre.

Captains were additionally informed that students should arrive at any outdoor sport sessions early as they will need to register and scan to confirm their attendance for track and trace purposes.

Bristol SU and The Sport, Exercise and Health Division offered said 'We will be looking to support our sporting community through these next challenges and are dedicated to continuing to provide sport and physical activity opportunities for all students in a safe manner. #WeAreBristol.'

A full list of services and programmes that are still permitted is as follows:

• Strength and conditioning sessions
  • Fitness classes
  • B:Active campus classes
  • Sports Medicine Clinic appointments
  • Personal training
  • U18’s Tennis programme
  • Tennis – court hire and coaching (including UBTC sessions)
  • U18’s Swim school (from 12th October)
  • Outdoor sports (teams and individual sports)
  • Virtual activities through the University of Bristol Sport App e.g. live classes, on-demand sessions

Featured image: Epigram / Siavash Minoukadeh

How will this impact you or your sports club? Let us know!