Summer days-and-nights in Annecy

"There’s nothing more French than walking through quaint, burnt orange villages, following the smell of blackened bread and flaky croissants..." Escape to the Alps with Mia's 'Day in the Annecian life'.

By Mia Musa-Green, Travel Digital Editor

The Croft Magazine // "There’s nothing more French than walking through quaint, burnt orange villages, following the smell of blackened bread and flaky croissants..."
Escape to the Alps with Mia's 'Day in the Annecian Life'.

Known as the “Venice of the Alps”, Annecy’s medieval centre is decorated with vibrant blue canals. It's the perfect location for those who want to hike and explore, or simply swim and relax. Although it is pretty expensive - 3 euros for a half pint - the old town, lake and mountain views definitely make up for it.

We start with an early morning trip to the local “Boulangerie” (the bakery to you and I). There’s nothing more French than walking through quaint, burnt orange villages, following the smell of blackened bread and flaky croissants.

The locals are dedicated to getting their morning bread and queue outside the bakery from 7am. Despite eagerness, everyone maintains a 2 metre distance and we leave with a bouquet of baguettes.

the 'neon blue glow' of Lac d'Annecy | Mia Musa-Green / Epigram
the 'neon blue glow' of Lac d'Annecy | Mia Musa Green / Epigram 

After snacking on our baked goods, we head to the lake. Lac d’Annecy is known as the cleanest lake in Europe - no surprise when you see its neon blue glow. Man-made beaches line the entirety of the lakeside, perfect for those who want the comfort of a lifeguard, restaurants and cafes.

We opt for the jetties. Although intended for boats, they double up as a peaceful location to relax - we spend most of our days by the lakeside: tanning, swimming, reading and people watching.

Our go-to drink is a Dome peche; a half pint with peach syrup - it serves as a perfect cooler for that Southern French heat

After drying off, we head to the old town. Dotted with pastel coloured buildings and cafes in secret coves, the streets of Annecy’s “Vieille-Ville” are not to be missed. Despite its small appearance, it is extremely easy to get lost in the narrow passageways and hidden bridges that make up the city centre.

Annecy's Old Town | Mia Musa-Green / Epigram

The town looks archaic at first glance, but upon exploring you soon realise that the streets are lined with well known shops and popular brands - perfect for those seeking some retail therapy. It's also a great place to stop off for a drink.

Our go-to drink to is a Dome peche; a half pint with peach syrup (which can be exchanged with any other syrup). Although simple, it serves as a perfect cooler for that Southern French heat.

blue skies and quiet roads | Mia Musa-Green / Epigram

It's not all lakeside-reading, old-town-pottering and cold-drink-sipping in Annecy: if you are an adrenaline seeker, then it may be the place for you also. When skiing stops and the snow has melted, the Annecian alps are the perfect place for hiking. Local teens spend their summers camping with friends and exploring popular treks such as Mont-Veyrier, Parmelan and Semnoz.

Annecy Lake is also known for a range of watersports open for tourists including; waterskiing, sailing, rowing and even Paddleboard Yoga (...!).

When quarantine lifts and you get started on your post-lockdown travel list, I recommend Annecy: the lakeside cafes, mountainous views and endless countryside will make your first trip abroad as blissful as possible.

Featured Image : sunset in the Alps | Mia Musa-Green / Epigram

.