Bristol students start review website to bring accountability to landlords

Unirent provides a platform for students from Bristol and Bath University to complete an anonymous survey commenting on their experience of their property and its landlord.

By Maddy Russell, News Editor

Described as 'the TripAdvisor of student housing', Unirent aims to help students find the best student houses.

A website founded by three undergraduates is paying students £3 to leave a review of their student houses.

Unirent allows Bristol students to complete an anonymous survey commenting on their experience of their property and its landlord.

Students are able to rate their property on factors like its value, location, social spaces and landlord experience.

| Bristol SU asks landlord to give impacted students 'significant rent reduction'

| Digs tenants go on rent strike amid coronavirus financial fears

The site was co-founded by third year Bristol student Zach Dunnett, his brother Gus (a fourth-year Bath student), and their friend Fraser.

The platform is currently only available for use by students at Bristol and Bath, however the group have expressed a desire to expand to other UK universities.

Students can review their house using an online survey

Speaking to Epigram about his motivation for starting the platform, Zach said: ‘Firstly, we want to put on record the good and bad landlords and agents and the things they get up to.

‘Just reading some of our reviews we have collected already there are some pretty shocking things going on, but at the other end of the scale there are some landlords who genuinely seem to care about their tenants and we really want to help promote this group.

‘Secondly, we are strong advocates for mental health and believe that taking away any stress no matter how small is really important. Hopefully our website can help take some of the stress out of finding a house by highlighting landlords who actually care about the students living in their properties.’

A link to the website can be found here.

Featured image: Unirent/Zach Dunnett

Have you reviewed your house on Unirent? Let us know!