The student's guide to self-isolation: The best escapism podcasts

Stick on some headphones, make a cup of tea and settle down to some of the best podcasts to escape the stress of life at the moment.

By Tom Taylor, Digital Editor

Travel

Extremities

Listen on: Apple Podcasts; Spotify
Episode Length: 30 mins
Synopsis: A podcast about people living in isolated and extreme environments - think desert islands and remote snow-covered villages. The hosts delve into the history, logistics and day to day life in these places.

The Travel Diaries with Holly Rubenstein

Listen On: Acast; Apple Podcasts; Spotify
Episode Length: 30 mins - 50 mins
Synopsis: An interview-based podcast in which travel journalist Holly Rubenstein chats to guests about their travel experiences and how it has shaped them. Guests include Ella Eyre, Sir Ranulph Fiennes and Nadiya Hussain.

Escape Podcast

Listen on: Spotify; Apple Podcasts; TuneIn
Episode Length: 30 mins
Synopsis: Hosted by Simon Calder, this podcast is an audio travel guide providing the best tips and advice you can store up for when quarantine ends.

| The student's guide to self-isolation: What to watch on TV

Science Fiction / Fantasy

ars PARADOXICA

Listen On: Spotify; Apple Podcasts
Episode Length: Various
Synopsis: In this found-footage podcast, time traveller Dr Sally Grissom finds herself stranded in the 1940s and has to navigate the Cold War as part of a secret branch of the US government.

Mission to Zyxx

Listen On: Spotify; TuneIn
Episode Length: 30 mins - 50 mins
Synopsis: An improvised sci-fi sitcom following the lives of a team of ambassadors trying to establish diplomatic relations with different planets in the Zyxx Quadrant.

The Once and Future Nerd

Listen On: Spotify; Apple Podcasts
Episode Length: 20 mins to 30 mins
Synopsis: This serialised audio-drama follows high school students who are transported to a high fantasy world of wizards and elves. They then must undertake a quest to save their new world.

| The student's guide to self-isolation: Takeaways still open in Bristol

Chatting

Laid Bare Podcast

Listen On: Spotify, Apple Podcasts
Episode Length: 50 mins to 1 hour
Synopsis: Hosted by Oloni, Shakira Scott and Shani Jamilah, this sex positivity podcast explores sexual relationships, mental health and self-care. Every episode will put a smile on your face without fail and you may even learn a thing or two!

Call Your Girlfriend

Listen On: Spotify, Apple Podcasts
Episode Length: 50 mins
Synopsis: Perfect for this time of self-isolation, Call Your Girlfriend is a podcast made for long-distance best friends. They chat about pop culture, politics and more.

Off Menu with Ed Gamble and James Acaster

Listen On: Spotify; Apple Podcasts; Acast
Episode Length: 1 hour to 1 h 30 mins
Synopsis: The comedian duo invite guests such as Armando Iannucci, Mike Skinner and Loyle Carner to chat about their favourite meals in a magical restaurant. It's very funny and if you're a foodie it's even better!

Featured: The Laid Bare Podcast and The Escape Podcast

What is your favourite podcast? Let us know.