Meet the candidates standing to be your UG and PG Education Officers

Now that SU elections are in full swing, Epigram has sat down with all the candidates running for Undergraduate and Postgraduate Education Officer, to get the details on their manifestos and why they want you to vote for them.

By Maddy Russell, News Editor

Meet the students standing to be your SU Undergraduate Education and Postgraduate Education Officers

Undergraduate Education Officer

Cordelia Hughes

Third year, Chemistry

What are some of the key policy ideas in your manifesto?

My main goal is to get climate more heavily into the curriculum and I want students to be able to tell the Uni more of what they want to be learning about. I also want a more holistic approach to learning that addresses current issues, such as the climate emergency.

I would also like for the University to be made more accessible for disabled students. In terms of careers, I would like greater attention to be given to green careers and to filter the information students receive in accordance to what they are interested in. I would want to host a citizens’ assembly of climate change with both staff and students and make it obligatory for senior staff to listen to our concerns.

Why should students vote for you?

People should vote for me because I am hard working, involved in sustainability and am keen to start exciting new things

David Iron

Third year, History

I want to eradicate barriers to University by making are widening participation schemes more ambitious. I want to improve our mental health services and look over the University’s extenuating circumstances procedure. I plan to work on further decolonizing the curriculum, lobbying the Uni to further educate us for the climate emergency and organise a sustainable careers month

Why should students vote for you?

I am running for this role because I have been involved with student activism through-out my time at University and I think the SU can do more.

Nadia Sajir

Third year, English Literature and Film

I would like to reform the personal tutor system in order to ensure a consistent level of care for all students. I would also like for it to be mandatory for schools to take registers of students during seminars/tutorials so that continues absences can be followed up. I want all schools to have a senior tutor to oversee students, I would like to continue to decolonise the curriculum; start free workshops on different subjects  for students to attend; start workshops to aimed at reducing anxiety around graduation and grad jobs and re-look at student disciplinaries and the fitness to study policy.

Why should students vote for you?

People should vote for me because I am a strong voice, I will take on other people’s burdens and anger with an even stronger and even more passionate voice. I would also like people to know that I intend to reject a job at Deloitte in favour of this.

Ostin D’Silva

Fourth year, Physics and Chemistry

I would like to help oversee the curriculum overview; change the way people are examined; oversee changes to the personal tutor system; improve financial support for student societies; help implement stronger strike contingency plans; make sure exam time tables come out earlier and that important exams aren’t back-to-back and to ensure that there are more study spaces available on weekends, especially during exams.

Why should students vote for you?

People should vote for me because I have been doing this sort of thing for a while. I have been the President of Chaos [Physics society], a rep for Physics and Chemistry and have worked previously with University management. I would like to do what I have done in Science for the rest of the University.

Post Graduate Education Officer

Arsham NK

Post Graduate Biology

I want to make sure that the University gives appropriate attention to Postgraduate issues, as there are different to Undergraduate ones. I want to improve PG wellbeing, support, representation and integration. I want to ensure that there is more progression for Post Graduate teaching students and for there to be more uniformity across faculties in terms of support and events

Why should students vote for you?

People should be vote for me because I have a lot of experience across three different schools of the University, which I can bring to the role.

Joshua Mudie

Post Graduate Civil Engineering

I want to improve postgraduate welfare by ensuring supervisors are clear with student about having a healthy work-life balance. I also want to make sure that distance learners ae able to engage with their department. In terms of the Postgraduate Network I would like to work with each faculty to make sure that make a contribution to this. I would also like to engage with alumni to host more events that specifically target Postgraduate students.

For representation I would like for there to be better representation of PG students throughout the academic year, as currently this is limited over the summer period.

For accessibility I would like for there to be a more simplified code of rule and regulations for Postgraduate teaching students and for there to be an increase in grants for distance learners coming into the precinct.

Why should students vote for you?

Students should vote for me because I have lots of experience. I have been at Bristol for seven years and I know a lot of the issue students are facing. I have made sure my manifesto represents all students both PGT and PGR students and have spoken extensively to both

Leah Martindale

Post Graduate Film & TV

Financial support for MA students is currently devoid. I would like to see means tested

PG bursaries and an increase in visibility for this sort of funding around campus. I also want to introduce more events to encourage PG international students to feel more closely integrated within the postgraduate community. I think there is a lack of a clear sense of community in the PG world, I would like to focus on bringing people together in order to promote students’ wellbeing. In this respect I would also like to work with the Sports and Development Officer and the International Students Officer to set up more postgraduate activities, which are flexible for PG students. I hope that, if I were to be elected for the role, I would be able to put in a series of policies that have longevity and will create communities that self-perpetuate.

Why should students vote for you?

People should vote for me because I have worked for the Uni in widening participation and I get see help students get students in, but now I also want to help them have the best possible experience whilst they are here.  People should feel confident voting for me because I am tenacious and outspoken and I have vested interested in making students experiences the best it can be.

Wei Lu

Post Graduate Finance and Investment

For me wellbeing is key. However, I would also like to see improved library facilities, such as microwaves and hot water. I want to improve access to the University for PG international students, many of whom live a long way from campus. I would like to see a forum for discussion amongst PG international students and for there to be more information for students about getting around Bristol.

Why should students vote for you?

Students should vote for me because I am my faculty course rep and have a clear understanding of the PG experience, which I would like to share.

Featured image:Epigram/Maddy Russell

Polls close in an hour don't forget to cast your vote!