Sam Lee @ St George's

Sam Lee pays a worthy tribute to his ultimate inspiration - the beauty of nature. Read our review of his exquisite performance...

By Sophie Brown, Phd Chemistry

After the recent release of his highly praised album, Old Wow, Sam Lee took to the stage of St George's concert hall to deliver a performance of stunning musical dexterity, paying a worthy tribute to his ultimate inspiration: the beauty of nature.

Sam Lee offered, by his own description, 'reupholstered' tracks, weaving together the delicate fabric of traditional folk melodies into a rich and revamped texture. Rock and jazz influences oozed into vibrant percussive tracks such as 'Lay this Body Down', as Sam Lee certainly packed more punch than one may be expecting from a folk performance. The genre curiously has potential to be somewhat overlooked - perhaps stemming from the disconnect between modern suburban life and the stereotypical lilting ditties - singing of humble countryside festivities. Yet, Sam Lee brought a direct relevance to his material, not only by breathing new life into the orchestration of the musical delivery (aided by the exceptional talents of his fellow band members), but also by exploring the historical narratives of each of the songs. It was evident in the delicately poetic manner that he introduced each song that he viewed each melody, and the story flowed from it, as a precious gift from the travellers he had learnt them from firsthand.

His evident passion for preserving precious pieces of gypsy folklore was equally matched by his commitment to nature conservation. The haunting melodies of 'Turtle Dove' and 'Worthy Wood' touched on thoughts that were poignantly relevant to current affairs - given the decline in natural biodiversity and need to protect English woodlands, along with the ever-prominent concerns we face in a state of climate emergency. As Sam Lee thanked various audience members' involvement in conservation projects, it was apparent that this artist does more than offer gratitude and love of nature through a musical avenue, but instead cultivates this in many aspects of his life. This added context only enhanced the sincerity of his performance, and filled lyrics that spoke of quaint English meadows with a bittersweet gravitas, lending to a quizzical sense of how we ever let such things be taken for granted.

Most of all his music and his ethos created a sense of gratitude, not only to those who supplied him with his melodies, but to the natural world and the beauty of the earth that inspired it all.  To anyone fortunate enough to have listened to this artist live, it is likely that a simple walk in the woods or the sound of birdsong will feel all the more exquisite a gift as a result. Sam Lee has both the musical talent to encourage a deeper appreciation of the folk scene, as well as an inspiring energy to instil a new found love of nature and all the preciously intertwined webs of life within it.

Featured Image: Sam Lee/website