Are students to blame for Bristol's housing crisis?

As the city struggles to accommodate Bristol's soaring number of University students, how has the student population contributed to the city's housing crisis and impacted housing affordability?

By Elle Maher, First Year, Bsc Mathematics

Known to be a vibrant, diverse and friendly city, Bristol is ideal for young people and families to reside in. However, an unattainable demand for housing has meant, according to BristolLive, house prices have risen by 56.5% in the last decade- more than twice as fast as the National average.

Bristol City Council believes the student population and rapid University expansions are partly responsible and have exacerbated this housing crisis.

Student houses in Bristol / Epigram | Andy Hargreaves 

As both the University of Bristol and the University of West England have expanded, the student population has increased by 10,000 in the last decade, with the University of Bristol being the greater contributor to this. The central location of the University has led to an increased demand for housing in areas such as Redland, Clifton and Cotham, driving the resident population out of Bristol’s centre.

The situation only looks to get exacerbated with the University of Bristol planning for continued expansion with the possibility of a second campus located near Bristol Temple Meads train station. This will generate another student cavern, increase demand for housing, cause a surge in house prices and subsequently drive out residents of Totterdown and Redcliffe.

'House prices have risen by 56.5% in the last decade- more than twice as fast as the National average'
BristolLive

Whilst student populations have increased, the situation has been made worse by private landlords exploiting the demand for student lettings.  Landlords have increasingly evicted families, or driven rent so high they are forced to leave, in order to convert their homes into houses for multiple occupancy (HMOs).

This enables the landlords to provide new student lettings where they can charge as much as 50% more rent. Hence, the private sector has grown from 12% (2001) to 29% (2017), according to Government statistics, and has only continued to grow since.

Greta Thunberg due to join climate strike in Bristol

Meanwhile, the social housing sector has suffered, causing the greatest impact to be on lower-income families: BristolLive published figures showing that more than 11,000 people languish on a waiting list for council houses; around 120 people sleep rough every night and the cheapest homes cost more than nine times the lowest earnings.

Whilst Bristol City Council have proposed plans to support the social housing sector, such as the Elderberry Walk mixed housing development in Southmead, they are constantly battling the private sector.

The increased student population is not the only contributor to the housing demand; gentrification has meant Bristol, already a desirable place to live, becomes more attractive which further increases demand. This creates a circular effect whereby renovation increases house prices, attracting higher-income tenants and then further drives up prices.

There has also been speculation of a knock on effect from ‘buy-to-leave’ and foreign investment in London, driving higher-income earners to reside elsewhere, including Bristol. This leads to further growth of the private sector whilst the social sector continues to shrink.

'Landlords have increasingly evicted families, or driven rent so high they are forced to leave, in order to convert their homes into houses for multiple occupancy (HMOs).'
Elle Maher

Bristol City Council appreciates the benefits students from both Universities bring to the city- students bring more than £250 million to the city each year and support up to 4,000 jobs. However, they have limited control over either of the university’s expansion plans, which are becoming increasingly unsustainable, and call for the university to act upon their social responsibility to the city they benefit from.

The student population is no doubt a big factor in the unsustainable demand for housing in Bristol. Any plans for the Universities to expand must consider the needs of the city and its residents. Yet one must not lose sight of the fact this is one factor amongst many which have led to the crisis and does come with positive benefits. In order to provide some stability and sustainability for residents, the council, universities, private landlords and developers must work together to avoid this demand consuming the city.

Featured Image: Epigram / Brooke Bennett

Do think students are the main cause of Bristol's housing crisis? Let us know in the comments!