Wandering in the Wildnerness

City breaks, resort vacations and villa holidays are all great, but its time to move to a new frontier and experience the wilderness of Europe as people look for a new way to experience the continent.

By James Fishwick, First Year History

The Croft Magazine// City breaks, resort vacations and villa holidays are all great, but its time to move to a new frontier and experience the wilderness of Europe as people look for a new way to experience the continent.

Its time to crack out the hiking boots that you wore for your Gold DofE, dust off the tent you took to Leeds Festival after GCSEs, and read about James' top camping spots in Europe.

ODDA CAMPING, Norway

Situated between two of Norway’s most stunning national parks, camping on the shores of the famed fjords Odda Camping is the place to camp in Norway. Far enough away from any major cities - the closest being Bergen or Oslo - the landscape is uninterrupted and serene, boasting natural landmarks such as the Trolltunga rock formation.

A plethora of activities and experiences await, as the fjords offer activities from kayaking and canoeing, to cycling along the windy roads that line the islands and stretches of land.

It boasts rooms, cabins, lodges and over 60 tent pitches, with large kitchen and shower facilities, as well as free Wi-Fi - not that you should be needing it with everything that there is to be doing.

CAMP LIZA, Slovenia

If you want a cycling and hiking trip, Solvenia’s Camp Liza - then tucked away in the Julian Alps - is the place for you. The camp itself lies between the valleys of the Bovec Valley, and whilst it is geographically Alpine,  crystal clear water of the Soča River rushes through and cuts the valley with intensity in the summer months.

It is perfectly placed for hiking and cycling enthusiasts who follow the many routes that lie within the mountains, and reach for peaks such as the Triglav (2900m) and the Rombon (2208m). Guided tours may be popular, but many venture off by themselves to find the best possible experience.The Soča trail follows the route of the river, entering the mountains and dense forestry.

LIMA ESCAPE, Portugal

Nestled at the edge of Portugal’s Peneda-Gerês National Park, the 400 pitch Lima Escape camping spot keeps the astounding beauty of the natural environment while providing intimacy with your travel companions. It offers everything and more in terms of what you could want in a weekend get-away.

It offers the chance to be immersed in nature, where you can pitch up, rent cabins in the oak and pine forestry, or to camp on the edge of the Rio Lima. This setting provides a range of activities to do along the river, too.

Found in the harsh grey granite mountains, it’s the go-to place for ramblers, boulderers and rope climbers looking for a route off of the well-trodden path.

HOLME VALLEY CAMPING AND CARAVAN PARK, United Kingdom

On the border of the Pennines National Park in West Yorkshire - the best part of Yorkshire - lies the Holme Valley. With quick links to from several major towns and cities, it is the perfect spot for a quick woodland weekend away.

Ideally positioned for hiking, gentle walks as well as kayaking and cycling along the Huddersfield Narrow Canal take you through the towns and villages that line the way. Based in the woods, you can quickly reach the vast expanse of the Pennines. The campsite is more than just the cabins and fences that line its boundary - it’s the quaint backdrop that portrays its ultimate beauty.

CAMP 9 NATURE CAMPGROUND, Poland

A small 15 pitch campsite in perfect proximity for exploring the Polish natural world as well as near by traditional towns, Nature Campground is also a hub for cycling enthusiasts who can take advantage of the large areas of flatland. There is something for everyone here, where war bunkers populate the area, so any avid history buff is free to roam and explore.

There is ample room for exploration with the campsite being located close to the borders of Slovakia (via the Tatra mountains) the Czech Republic and the little explored western parts of Ukraine. It is the perfect place for an indecisive backpacker who is unsure of their next destination.

Featured Image credit: Unsplash/Cameron Vaughan

Find The Croft Magazine inside every copy of Epigram Newspaper