APRE @ The Louisiana

Alternative pop duo Apre returned to Bristol for a spectacular sell out show at The Louisiana mid-way through their inaugural headline tour.

By Katie Hubbard, Second Year Geography

After touring extensively over the past year supporting Inhaler and Half Alive amongst others, it was rewarding to see the pair attract such a large crowd under their own steam tonight with The Louisiana being quite literally packed to the rafters. Finding their way through the densely packed crowd in a full to bursting Louisiana frontmen Charlie and Jules climbed onto the stage emblazoned with their own light up sign and immediately launched into their latest single, the synth heavy sun-drenched pop of ‘Your heart’s like a jungle.’ It was relatively subdued start to the gig with the mostly static crowd taking time to warm to the songs. However, this was soon rectified with the early 2000’s indie inspired number ‘All yours’.

With the swirling intricate melodies and funk inspired bass line sounding exceptionally well-polished, most likely due to the hardworking bands inordinate amount of practice playing live over the past year. Vocalist Charlie exclaimed afterwards that “This is amazing, the last time we were here there were only 12 people” highlighting the impressive development they have had in the past few months. The duo, accompanied on stage by a live bassist and drummer launched into a new unreleased track, another synth laden indie song that sounded particularly cinematic and wouldn’t feel out of place as the soundtrack to an epic summer road trip.

With the swirling intricate melodies and funk inspired bass line sounding exceptionally well-polished, most likely due to the hardworking bands inordinate amount of practice playing live over the past year.

Another unreleased song with blues inspired bass line and single ‘5 to 5’ led into arguably their most famous song ‘Come Down’. The track has been included in the always exceptional Fifa 20 soundtrack and it was very apparent which members of the crowd were fans of this from their excited chants during the opening notes. The song leans towards slightly more indie territory than the rest of the groups repertoire and evokes ideas of Love Spreads by the Stone Roses mixed with early Foals. Charlie came in amongst the crowd for the number much to the excitement of all the Fifa fans in the room who joined in dancing and singing for the popular song. Closing on darker, ethereal number ‘Dreamworld’ the duo really sounded at their best tonight bringing a little bit of sunshine to a cold, rainy and storm battered Bristol once again.

Featured Image: Katie Hubbard/Epigram

Have you read our interview with APRE?